Drinking underwater (SCUDA??)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of these. It certainly helps with dry mouth, although obviously not with dehydration.

Been looking at picking one up myself.

Just as a matter of interest. How many times do you need to change out the wick and filters, as per any amount of dives in a given time.

I have the dry mouth problem, too. A couple of things that have helped me are hydrating before the dive by drinking Vitalyte (it's like Gatorade but without all the sugar) and by getting my reg wet during the dive whenever my mouth starts to feel dry. A former instructor taught me how to do it; don't know if you've tried it or not. I take my reg out of my mouth, hold onto it for a few seconds, then pop it back in my mouth and clear it. The water that's still on the reg when I put it back in my mouth is enough to take care of the dryness for a while. If you try this, be sure to blow a constant stream of bubbles while the reg is out of your mouth since holding your breath while diving is a no-no, as you probably know.

Been looking at picking one up myself.

Just as a matter of interest. How many times do you need to change out the wick and filters, as per any amount of dives in a given time.
I've used my Appolo Bio Filter for about a year - it works - have not had to change the filter cartridge; it still absorbes water, and looks to be in good shape.

If you are looking to purchase one, other sites sell them much cheaper than the "official" Apolo - Check Scuna Toys, Leisure Pro, et al.

No filter takes the place of drinking water; I try to drink 30 oz before my 1st dive and 12 - 20 between dives.

My Sherwood Oasis helps alot, in addition to a ton of water starting the night before and throughout the dive day.

FL springs make things easier, but salt water kills the back of my throat once it dries out.

Back
Top Bottom