driving your car is definitely the most dangerous part of scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026:
Another safety tip to keep in mind with tires is that proper pressure is important. I do believe that an under-inflated tire can generate a great deal more heat which may or may not lead to premature tire failure. Of course it also possible to just get a bad tire. It happens with all brands including grossly over priced goodyear tires.

good tire pressure also leads to better gas consumption.

IndigoBlue:
I did remember a loud BOOM before the flat. So either tire defect or underinflation for the load could either have been a factor, or even both.
I've had this happen before....it is no fun at all....I'm betting that you're tires pressure hadn't been checked along with the additional load of some scuba gear caused the tired to run a bit flat...or on it's sidewalls, and tires' sidewalls just don't have lots of stuff to run on.

What you might look at investing in are the "run-flat" tires for the rear of your vehicle.....most of them have thicker side-walls, and if you're planning on doing much more diving and driving with this vehicle. It's a bit of added safety.

Genesis is right... most tire failures (even the Firestone blowouts) are a direct result of an underinflated tire, and NOT a defective tire. It usually starts with a simple nail. Back tires are more prone to this on front wheel drive cars, because you don't notice them as much. If you inspect the inside of the sidewall, it looks like someone had a torch in there. Sidewalls don't hold up your car, the pressure inside the tire does. The sidewalls merely contain the pressure. Every rotation of your tire flexes the sidewall causing heat. Rapidly flexing rubber sidewalls with 2ata pressue (@15 psi) causes an accelerated "burning" process. Ka-blooie is the result.

You learned to check your spg when you dive, then you should also check your tire inflation before a long trip. Good buy on the insurance Indigo Blue. I worked for Goodyear for 15 years before I semi-retired as one of their Service Managers... the hardest thing to do was to tell a customer that the tire was not covered for material and workmanship since it was "run flat".

Run flat tires are fine, but have a harsher ride and are usually only available in low-profile tires. Please install a "Low-pressure" warning system if you use these. Getting in the habit of checking tire pressure sounds more reasonable to me. Most shops (Goodyear included) are more than happy to have someone dance around your car with a hose a pressure gauge if you simply ask.

IndigoBlue:
The tire store dealer said his best guess was that my car was so loaded up with scuba gear that the tire did in fact blow out due to not being completely inflated to the level of full maximum capacity.

Lesson learned: keep your car tires inflated to the maximum rating when you are hauling tanks, weights, and gear.

Exactly what I was going to suggest after a "been there, done that" incident. Looks like you already found out the hard way though.

I always have a buddy riding with me when I drive home from diving, so that when I have to change a flat or fix something, it's only half as bad! :wink:

Matthew:
I always have a buddy riding with me when I drive home from diving, so that when I have to change a flat or fix something, it's only half as bad! :wink:
Yeah - buddies are also good for keeping you awake or take turns driving if you have a long way to go :wink:

Driving my 1978 GMC 3/4 ton with a new set of 16.5 inch D load range radial tires last spring. I was carrying my 10.5 foot slide in camper on its back, loaded with gear, 30 gallons of water and 40 pounds of propane. It's a big camper, and even has a washroom at the rear with a holding tank across the bottom under back side. I was pulling my boat, a 17.5 foot fiberglass Larson open bow down the highway when BAM! The left front tire exploded, with rubber flying all over the highway and ripping a large section of the fender away.

To my complete amazment, the truck merely dropped down on it's left front and kept on tracking straight down the highway. The flapping of the exploded tire beating the crap out of the fender was a little disconcerting, but I just slowed down, pulled over and stopped.

Glad I purchased 5 tires instead of 4. Changed the tire, hammered out the fender, and continued on to the diving weekend. Everyone of course asked what happened when they saw the truck, I just pointed to the tire. The trucks been repaired and looks new again (I keep it looking new even though it is 26 years old), and have a new found respect for the old girl. I would have thought that with that kind of a load, pulling a trailer, a front blowout would have been deadly. But it ended up that the old truck handled it perfectly, without even a hint of going out of control.

The tire dealer, BF Goodrich, was at a loss to explain, and replaced the tire, seeing that it was only 10 days old with out any questions.

Trailers help in the event of a front tire blow out. Hmmm, never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it, it makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom