Dry glove basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding:
A guy that works at my LDS just put these gloves (I think, do they have an inner, smooth neoprene seal covered by the cuff?) on his dryglove rings. Mucho dexterity, very compact, and so far, leak free. If they hold up, I may get a pair to try out.

Yes, they have a smooth inner seal and then second neoprene covering layer. I don't see how these would work with a ring system though, but I've never used a ring system.

The inner seal is too large for my bare wrists, but with fingerless gloves or a sufficiently thick undergarment (like xerotherm arctic top) they are fine.

dry_gloves1.jpg

dry_gloves2.jpg

It's very difficult to put these on after the suit is on, even with someone else's help. However, I'm considering just cutting the outer cuff cover off, or using something to hold it back when donning, and then just donning the suit with gloves on so that the suit's latex seals would go over the gloves' neoprene seals the way they would usually go over your bare wrists when you just push your hands through. Of course putting a neoprene neck seal on with 4mm gloves on may be tricky.

Anyway, I got these gloves for half price from a sale so I decided to give them a go. I also like the fact that you don't need to mess with anything on your suit and no bulky rings... but as I said, I've only tried them in the pool so far and that was just to make sure that they remained dry.

Thanks Floater-

Those are the ones, I saw them put onto rings just like the Atlas gloves are installed. Basically, the glove-side ring is installed inside the inner cuff with an o-ring holding it in place. Kinda hard to explain, but the smooth neoprene seal is used to seal the glove to the glove-side ring.

Pretty slick, if they last that way, they are a viable alternative to the blue smurf gloves. Probably warmer, and with more dexterity.

DUI apparently has a new zip seal system with wrist dams, so this is no longer the case.

I found rings to be more trouble than benefit. The rings do limit my wrist movement and this really becomes an issue when diving stages. I also can't see using rings on my suit when cave diving. That means removing and replacing the rings several times a year. That isn't going to happen even though I know how to do it pretty quickly. That leads to wear and tear.

I'm considering the new zip seals with wrist dams for my next suit. The neck will be standard seals.

TSandM:
Since gloves are the thing most likely to interact with a hostile environment (rocks, metal, etc.) it did not seem reasonable to me to consider ANY dry glove system that did not leave an inner seal intact. That ruled out the DUI zipseal/glove system.

I ordered the new zip gloves with the wrist dam, To bad I never got to see them yet since they will not be in till some time this week.

Just got a first couple dives in with a set of SI Tech rings and 495s (with removable liners). Rather different feel those things give you, but my hands stayed warm and dry. :D

Incidentally, thanks, ScubaBoard, for explaining about the line (or whatever) under the wrist seals. My hands were pleasantly uncrushed. :wink:

Dan Gibson:
DUI apparently has a new zip seal system with wrist dams, so this is no longer the case.

Looks as though they are not removable, for donning and doffing. Mine are removed every time I get into or out of my suit. I do like the fact that they added the second seal. When looking at my dry gloves today, they are pretty scratched up on the finger tips.

ClayJar:
Just got a first couple dives in with a set of SI Tech rings and 495s (with removable liners). Rather different feel those things give you, but my hands stayed warm and dry. :D

Incidentally, thanks, ScubaBoard, for explaining about the line (or whatever) under the wrist seals. My hands were pleasantly uncrushed. :wink:

The air keeps your hands warmer too :) Sometimes I just pull my undershirt through the latex wrist seal.

Peter_C:
The air keeps your hands warmer too :) Sometimes I just pull my undershirt through the latex wrist seal.
Hehe... well, yes, the much lower thermal conductivity of air is part and parcel to the whole dry diving concept, eh?

I considered trying to pull the end of my sleeves through the wrist seals, but on the one hand, my arms are long enough that I'd be concerned I might pull the sleeve out while reaching for a valve, and on the other hand, if my hands hadn't stayed dry, it seemed much easier to pull a string than to try to push a sleeve back from under the wrist seal.

I've seen a lot of people with ring systems just leave the gloves on while suiting up. I don't really care for that, but ring systems have their problems as well. I have used SiTech and DC in the past. SiTech pretty much stunk right out of the box. The things were next to impossible to get off without prying at them. The DC were a little better but after a year or so, I was having the same problem. I also couldn't stand the ring digging into my wrist when clipping and unclipping items. That's the only reason I am considering the new DUI system.

I have not gotten a chance to see the new system with WD in person, so I can't say I will go with them or not. What I won't do is use a suit without an inner wrist seal because diving in very cold water back in some mine (typically around 46 F in Mine Lamotte) isn't a smart idea if I tear a glove. I would only use these gloves when diving really cold water and take them off for anything around 58 degrees or warmer. My hands can handle no gloves at that temp for just short of two hours before I start loosing dexterity. For short dives in cold water, I just throw on some neoprene gloves.

Peter_C:
Looks as though they are not removable, for donning and doffing. Mine are removed every time I get into or out of my suit. I do like the fact that they added the second seal. When looking at my dry gloves today, they are pretty scratched up on the finger tips.

As far as I'm concerned based on the experience of my dive buddies and myself, the Viking Ring is the only way to go. I am the only one to wear a dryglove that has NEVER had a problem with it coming loose.

Those bayonet systems are neat gee whiz type things that work well, but they have a nasty habit of coming loose on you. The rings just work, plain and simple. You take your glove and pull it over the rings, they are a softer rubber ring so your glove kind of sticks to it as well which helps it stay put, then if you're so inclined you put a rubber ring over it to trap the glove between the ring and your rubber belt. A hoover belt works fine for this, or you can buy one made for that purpose.

I dive without that.

Recently on the last 6 dives or so I decided to try something new for the liners. Because I have the wrist seals in place and I sometimes dive with wetsuit gloves I thought I'd give the wetsuit gloves under the drygloves a shot to see if the squeeze would be bearable. Results, at 123 feet I was comfortable. I didn't do the tricks you hear of to equalize the glove such as a rope or straw, pull the seal etc. I just hopped in and went down. It was comfortable. The wetsuit glove is a Scubamax 3mm.

loosebits:
I've been searching the forum on dry gloves trying to understand the basic options out there but haven't yet been successful.

I've seen some gloves with a latex seal that looks like it doesn't integrate with the drysuit at all, I've seen others with a ring that looks like it somehow integrates with the wrist seal and then there seems to be another option or two out there.

Can someone take the time and explain the different options and the advantages of each? I also am curious about the insulation options. I get the impression that some gloves are think and warm and others are just pieces of rubber than need a liner inside. Is this the case?

My main consideration in any glove is dexterity.. have to be able to unclip my spg. Also, I may start diving in cold Missouri caves someday so being able to feel the line is a must.

One more thing.. I have very large hands (8 1/2").

I ahve these on my site:

https://www.globaldrysuitparts.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=4

I use a piece of 3/16 bungie between my drysuit seal and the glove overlaps the suit wrist seal. There is ample material to allow for movement without it pulling off. I have both ring a non ring available in all 4 sizes. The cotton liner or any other liner can be used. If you had a major failure during the dive you can just pull the bungie out and maintain the rest of the suit water tight.

I use the neoprene coated latex when I jump on the Gavin. These gloves allow very easy clipping of you regs, bottles etc. I am DIR so I am very familiar with the need to clip/unclip snap bolts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom