Dry Gloves & Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just be aware that if/when you do add gloves, you need to be sure to have some way for air to move between the two to avoid getting "hand squeeze" or worse yet, "glove embolism" on ascent!

Otherwise, air will go into the glove through the wrist seal rather more easily than it will go out ... and on ascent the effect will be what we refer to as "Mickey Mouse fingers" ... and those will make manipulating your gear rather difficult ... :shocked2:

Slip a couple-inch piece of bungee cord or aquarium tubing underneath the wrist seal to create an air gap. Avoid stiff things like coffee stirrers, as they can be uncomfortable if improperly placed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I vastly prefer dry gloves for everything except lobstering. I find that once the glove shrinks to my hand underwater, my dexterity is excellent, especially compared to thick neoprene gloves.

I guess that part of the reason I'm reluctant to get dry gloves is that I'm currently using very thin (2 or 3mm) neoprene gloves. But that's because I've been avoiding colder water, since I didn't have a drysuit. Once I start diving in colder water here next summer, I realise my choice isn't actually going to be between my current gloves and dry gloves -- it'll be between very thick neoprene gloves and dry gloves. Either way I'll probably struggle with my camera for a while.

That said, I think I'm going to wait a while before I get dry gloves. I can live with the leaking wrist seals and thin gloves for a while longer. That'll give me some time to research different options for those ring systems (still trying to get my head round how they work) and means I won't have to add extra complication while I'm still getting used to the suit itself.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 10:42 PM ----------

I've used drygloves exclusively for the past 30 years, and been dragging a camera for most of that time. I wear thin latex gloves with liners and these are far more flexible than the thick wetgloves I'd need to wear to keep my fingers from dropping off. Our tamp at depth rarely gets above 39-42F all year...

As for dealing with leaking wrist seals by adding drygloves, I think it's a valid solution. As Bob (that Grateful guy) points out, leaking wrist seals are often the result of pronounced tendons in the wrist, and there is very little you can do about that. Mrs. Stoo is a very lean, 100# beast of a woman. Her wrists are extremely tiny and the only way to stop leaking was to add drygloves.

Just be aware that if/when you do add gloves, you need to be sure to have some way for air to move between the two to avoid getting "hand squeeze" or worse yet, "glove embolism" on ascent!

With regard to using a camera, if the glove fits properly, it should be fine.

'Glove embolism' -- haha, that's brilliant!

I've been using Diving Concepts gloves without wrist seals for the past seven years with no problems. I can press all the buttons on my housing and never have to worry about "glove embolism". I do have to watch for sharp objects slicing the gloves, but have only made that mistake once.

The size of dry gloves is very important. I would venture to say most people wear gloves far bigger than they should. They should fit tight and be just a little hard to put on and take off. Start with a medium, and only move bigger if you can't get them on.

A495-2.jpg

I have used these for the past six or seven years and they have help improve my photography. My fingers are no longer too cold and numb to push the shutter. They're are not bulky under water.
Cold Comfort PVC Gloves

do you put these on then slide through your wrist seal? Price is sure right!

do you put these on then slide through your wrist seal? Price is sure right!

You install the blue glove part onto rings, then trim a large portion of the cuff off. After you suit up, and put your hands threw your drysuit seals, you put the yellow part on, tucking the cuff into the dryglove rings mounted to the suit.

Gotcha I have sitech rings so obviously just install the blue instead of the wrist seals

Most folks leave their wrist seals in place.

Personally I use my thumb loops to equalize my gloves threw my seals, and can successfully remove them in the event of a flooded glove.

I have extremely small wrists and very pronounced tendons. Don't bother with tubes any more, just make a fist and the tendons provide a path for air. You may find that if you have a leaking problem then you won't have to worry about "glove embolism or squeeze" if you go to dry gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom