Dry Suit Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad to hear you are not going beyond 30 ft cause a DS is not an item of "If i loose bouyancy control" but when. Most important is air in the wing for buoyancy and only enough air in the suit for squeeze relief. The inportance of a pee valve will come in its own time when its importance becomes clear.

Good lock and post again with your post dive thoughts.

I am glad to hear you are not going beyond 30 ft cause a DS is not an item of "If i loose bouyancy control" but when

If you're correctly weighted, this is wrong IME.

Some DS divers may well lose bouyancy control a time or two, yes. But not all. And with correct weighting and an ability to take it slow and anticipate bouyancy changes, it may just as well go just fine.

DS diving ain't rocket science.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

By what he hads said the duit is new to him as well as DS's in general. He is going out to use it before any training. Why would staying shallow till he gets experience be not good advice. Weighting right is not even a factor because you cant carry enough weight to counter the potential lift from a DS, expecially if it is a shell suit. I would rather have a run away from 30 ft than from 60 or 90 ft. Perhaps I am reading him wrong My impression is that he has got his first suit and cant get proper training untill after he dives it. Unless he has some one to train him on the fly things could go south fast and if so better to have it happen at shallow depths. I have not come across anyone that does not have a range of humourous first time user stories. So many of them involve being a fishing bobber upside down.

If you're correctly weighted, this is wrong IME.

Some DS divers may well lose bouyancy control a time or two, yes. But not all. And with correct weighting and an ability to take it slow and anticipate bouyancy changes, it may just as well go just fine.

DS diving ain't rocket science.

--

the best thing I found was the use of a weight harness instead of just a weight belt. DUI makes a great one.

By what he hads said the duit is new to him as well as DS's in general. He is going out to use it before any training.

In some parts of the world, people certify OW in a DS. Many of them don't experience a runaway ascent even on their first OW dives. Which means it's not a certainty like you apparently tried to imply.

I have not come across anyone that does not have a range of humourous first time user stories. So many of them involve being a fishing bobber upside down.
Funny stories are funny to tell. In other news, the Pope is catholic and anecdotes aren't data. Film at 11.

--

So your position is that he will not be one of the statistics....

In some parts of the world, people certify OW in a DS. Many of them don't experience a runaway ascent even on their first OW dives. Which means it's not a certainty like you apparently tried to imply.

Funny stories are funny to tell. In other news, the Pope is catholic and anecdotes aren't data. Film at 11.

--

Not to throw a wet blanket on things - especially since I am a completely self-taught dry suit diver and my son's first dry suit dive was in the ocean with me - but if it is at all possible try out the dry suit in a pool first - just do it (in the pool).

Remember you CAN KILL yourself with an uncontrolled ascent from 30' (or while in a pool). An uncontrolled ascent from almost any depth can run a risk of lung overexpansion injuries, while deeper and longer adds to the risk of bubble formation. Remember to breathe!

Last comment - if I read the OP's posts right they are using the dry suit for the first time while doing survey work. Unless they are very skilled at survey work it is likely they will do neither task well.

To the OP, have fun and enjoy being warm in your new DS.

Absolutely get some experience before making a trip to 60 ft looking down and finding the bubble ran to your feet.

Not to throw a wet blanket on things - especially since I am a completely self-taught dry suit diver and my son's first dry suit dive was in the ocean with me - but if it is at all possible try out the dry suit in a pool first - just do it (in the pool).

Remember you CAN KILL yourself with an uncontrolled ascent from 30' (or while in a pool). An uncontrolled ascent from almost any depth can run a risk of lung overexpansion injuries, while deeper and longer adds to the risk of bubble formation. Remember to breathe!

Last comment - if I read the OP's posts right they are using the dry suit for the first time while doing survey work. Unless they are very skilled at survey work it is likely they will do neither task well.

To the OP, have fun and enjoy being warm in your new DS.

So your position is that he will not be one of the statistics....
No. My position is that he may - but will not necessarily - be one of the statistics.

Our divers are about 50% dry suit from day 1, but this of course means that they are only certied to 18-20m for at leads their first 25 dives. We do try to start them with a pool session, then least 4-5 dives at 5-12m.
Generally folks don't have much trouble, actually the only problem case I can recall was a guy with a faulty weight pocket he kept dropping.

Back
Top Bottom