Dry suit diving: BCD vs suit for bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....AND the ease with which I could control my buoyancy while my hands were otherwise occupied. .

Can you elaborate on that? I don't quite understand and I am quite new to a DS.

Can you elaborate on that? I don't quite understand and I am quite new to a DS.

If youre one of the lucky few that has a shoulder dump that works nicely then you can dump air by just rolling your shoulder - you don't need hands. So on an ascent when both hands are occupied winding in a reel you can still dump air.

Yes, if I am reeling in, or spooling up a bag, or following a line in zero viz, just being able to shrug my shoulder and vent is a very handy thing. I have three suits, and all of them can be vented that way. If you have a good valve and it is properly placed, it isn't a problem. In fact, sometimes, if the stars smile on me, I can get the valve located so I don't have to do ANYTHING -- as the gas expands, it just bubbles out of the suit, keeping me neutral. Those are nice dives :)

Back
Top Bottom