dry suit humbled me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have finally got into the water with the new DS. Yesterday I went out to a local lake and attenmpted to work on my trim. (2nd and 3rd Dives with DS) The two poor guys who voluteered to go with me had to pretty much babysit me all day! I used to be a pretty stable trim kinda guy, now I get this suit and I must go to the back of the class when it comes to DS bouyancy! We did succeed in getting some weight off, but then I couldn't add much air for warmth, and at 47 Degrees, I kinda needed a bit of air. First dive was a disaster! New mask kept fogging, even though I had that problem fixed, but I think the temps had an effect on the fogging. I hit the mud at the bottom like the USS threasher. Silted up the place the first min. I was down, Had alot of ups and downs, and couldn't hold depth at all, unless I was swimming. Next dive I insisted on trying the Ankle weights, and that seemed to help get me a bit more trimed out. I hope things improve, as that was not fun. I spent most of the day just attempting to get level, and not go shooting up, or down, rolling over, Upside down,Etc.. The vis was about 2 feet, which I think hindered me in I could not see where the bottom was, nor the top. Does it get better as I dive it more?

Don't let it get you down. It does get better, although it may take 20 - 25 dives before you start to get the hang of it.

Remember to keep a good squeeze on the suit. If you're getting air in your feet, try gaiters. IMHO, they are a superior solution to ankle weights.

Finally, hit that mask with Sea Buff or toothpaste. Apply and rinse it at least three times on both sides of the glass.

Good luck

direrrick,
Don't feel bad. After 30 years of diving "wet", I decided to get a drysuit this year. It took me about 4 dives to finally get my buoyancy under control. I am wearing ankle weights for trim now too. I am diving the suit with them till warmer water (36 degrees was last dive) and then I will spend some time trying to trim without them.
My buddy on most of my dry dives is also new to drysuit diving and he has had similar problems. So keep diving it, it will get better.

Stay with it, it just gets better..... when diving in cold water it the only way to go....... I second the gaters over the weights.
Rob

Uncle Pug:
Rick... did your buddies tell you about their first drysuit dives? :D

Yeah I mentioned it was the worst dive I could remember.

And for point of reference he did much better than I did...... A lot less inverted swimming downwards going on.

Rick: Like I said at the time, it's just practice, you just need to get used to the suit, I will bet that the next two dives feel a lot better and when you get to 9 or 10 dives on the suit you won't even think about it.

And don't worry about me and Scott having a good time, I'm happy any time I get wet :wink:

Most folks go thru those same frustrations, I think ... I know I did after having done 120 dives in a wetsuit then going dry. Felt like a newbie all over again. Took about a dozen dives to convince myself I didn't just make a very expensive mistake by even going to a DS.

Also, as regards the air getting into the boots, gaitors are usually a better solution than ankle weights ... but there's something else that might work even better (and cheaper) ... fin keepers. They're little Y-shaped rubber straps that go over your boots. They cost about $6, and for many folks that's all you need to prevent air getting trapped in the boots. You might want to consider them first, before going with something more elaborate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
When are you to Yahoos going to come up here and dive with me?

I really do want to get up there, I'm doing two jobs at work at the moment, if I can palm one of them off on someone else I'm all over it. I'll give you a call :)

Rick:
Vis was pretty poor Friday (I'd have guessed in the 6-10 range), it's usually more like 20 at the lake. Alternatively if you want to take a trip down to breakwater at somepoint or a bit later in the year up to Tahoe, I'd be up for it, just drop me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom