Dry suit in Egypt - November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Mel92

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm heading to Egypt for a liveaboard at the start of November this year and I have a drysuit and an old 5mm wetsuit. I am always using my drysuit due to mainly diving in the UK. I am aiming to dive in my drysuit in Egypt with just a very thin thermal layer. Will I be too warm? I am trying to prevent the need to buy a new wetsuit!

Hi everyone, I'm heading to Egypt for a liveaboard at the start of November this year and I have a drysuit and an old 5mm wetsuit. I am always using my drysuit due to mainly diving in the UK. I am aiming to dive in my drysuit in Egypt with just a very thin thermal layer. Will I be too warm? I am trying to prevent the need to buy a new wetsuit!
I’m assuming you are diving Red Sea ? From Google: The seasonal average for the water temperature in the month of november is between 76°F and 87°F. The lowest sea temperature measured this month is 72°F and the highest is 91°F…..so 24.5 to 30.5 degC.

I’ve a 3yr old 4th Element 5mm Proteus (I think is the model) with a internal chest/ neck collar. I’ve used it in similar temps in the Med and in the Indian Ocean. It does the job. But what works for me may not for others.

I often dive in the Red Sea in November and feel the cold more than others, but have never needed more than a 5mm. A drysuit would be too much personally.

I think 5mm with a hood will be enough if you are not easily cold. Imho, you need to take both of your suits with you. You rip a non replaceable seal or break the zip and it is all over for the rest of the week?

I would guess the 5mm will be fine. I have never dived the Red Sea in November, but have dived there at the end of October several times and everyone is wearing wetsuits. At the end of October suits vary from 3mm shorty to 5mm full suit. It depends a bit on the route and number of dives as to how cold it feels. Having a looked in my log book lowest temperature I have recorded at the end of October is 23 degrees C, this was on one of the wrecks in the north, last year in the south it was 25-27 degrees. For the northern routes the water is always a degree or two lower than the south. I was on a liveaboard a couple of years ago at the end of October with a lady who was wearing a drysuit, she seemed fine and wasn't too hot. During the day the wind tends to still feel warm, but it can feel cold when coming up from a night dive.

Did a north Red Sea route in September diving dry, I'll do it again if only to not be waterlogged. Water was 27-29C. I was a lot more comfortable after dives than people in wetsuits. If you don't have replaceable seals though, best to bring a wetsuit (we had someone have that happen; I brought replaceable neck/wrist spares)

Yes, it can be breezy, but its a very warm breeze. I promise you, there is no need for a drysuit. January and February possibly, but have still never felt the need.
My wife and I were glad we had drysuits for our mid-December trip (2017), due to those breezes but also the airflow/spray on the RIB rides back to the mothership, which were apparently quite chilling in the absence of the summer sun. Wetsuit divers would get off the RIB and eagerly take a towel and a hot cocoa or tea from the crew. My wife and I stepped out of our drysuits and reached for a cold soft drink.

I have no idea about the conditions in early November, as the 2017 trip was my one and only so far; it could indeed still be too warm for a drysuit in early November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom