Dry suit in Egypt - November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Mel92

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm heading to Egypt for a liveaboard at the start of November this year and I have a drysuit and an old 5mm wetsuit. I am always using my drysuit due to mainly diving in the UK. I am aiming to dive in my drysuit in Egypt with just a very thin thermal layer. Will I be too warm? I am trying to prevent the need to buy a new wetsuit!

Hello,
I've just come back from a southern safari (St. Johns, Fury Shoals, Elphinstone), water temperature up to 30m diving depth was 28-29 degrees Celsius! I didn't sweat in the old 7 mm neoprene, but 5 mm would have been enough. Others have done 4 dives a day with Shorty.
Important: Always put the headband or hood over your ears afterwards because of the wind!
Which tour will it be? Have fun in advance!

Last Dive at Elphinestone:

Hi everyone, I'm heading to Egypt for a liveaboard at the start of November this year and I have a drysuit and an old 5mm wetsuit. I am always using my drysuit due to mainly diving in the UK. I am aiming to dive in my drysuit in Egypt with just a very thin thermal layer. Will I be too warm? I am trying to prevent the need to buy a new wetsuit!
Bring the drysuit with a wicking baselayer and then thin thermals - much nicer than getting back into a wet wetsuit on a breezy liveaboard in the Red Sea in November

I think slightly too warm but you'll be fine.

There are definitely the logistical issues of using a drysuit on a liveaboard. If you have the sitech replaceable neck and wrist seal systems less so. On a trip to Bonaire, my drysuit zipper failed. Bonaire had an unseasonably cold current that trip and the temperatures were in the mid 70s. Not a single diveshop had 5mm wetsuits for rent. People were wearing shorties with 3mm full wetsuits.

On the Red Sea liveaboards that we have been on, there has always been a substantial surface interval and everyone removed their wetsuits between dives. They did not allow us in the inside if we had wetsuits on. So, a cold surface interval was not really something that occurred.

A lot too depends on the individual - how much you feel the cold.
What I can tell you is that the water temps here in the Red Sea have fallen off a cliff over the last two weeks - thankfully the air temps have as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom