Dry Suit Inflator Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, but you are probably doing more diving off a boat. I'm generally in a cave so damaging a boat sitting down and the fact that I have a cheap $60 argon reg like Soggy sells and I don't have to worry about smashing it :wink:

I just know too high is uncomfortable to the back and the valve should not be in line with the dump. Isn't there a story about positioning the valve near the dump and a runaway inflator incident?

rjack321:
Mine just a little higher than shown in Dan's pic. Joe Talavera taught me to put the crown of the 6cf bottle even with the butt dump. Works well and doesn't hang too low and smash up the reg.

Different wing and BP ... with the DSS Torus wing the bottle can sit up higher and won't dig into your back when the wing's fully inflated (at least, mine doesn't). Also, with the plate weights on the DSS plate, only the top BP hole is available to accommodate the mounting strap. I prefer not to have the reg so low ... we do a lot of shore diving here, and that usually involves getting into and out of your rig on a seawall. Whatever the price of the reg, damage to your gear while mounting up isn't a desireable thing.

And the way I've got it rigged gives me ready access to the dump valve.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, mine doesn't actual hit when I sit down on a bench, but it comes close. I just mentioned it because if I ever did bang it around, it's fairly inexpensive to replace.

I don't know Tobin's wings or plates since I haven't seen them in person. Shape probably plays a huge role in whether or not the bottle will dig into ones back. Is there a way to insert the webbing between the plate and the weight plate one can use a different hole?

There is also another wreck mount that is more stable than George's version. I think it uses velcro but I don't remember the internet site that shows the pics. It's supposed to be removable yet more stable.

NWGratefulDiver:
Different wing and BP ... with the DSS Torus wing the bottle can sit up higher and won't dig into your back when the wing's fully inflated (at least, mine doesn't). Also, with the plate weights on the DSS plate, only the top BP hole is available to accommodate the mounting strap. I prefer not to have the reg so low ... we do a lot of shore diving here, and that usually involves getting into and out of your rig on a seawall. Whatever the price of the reg, damage to your gear while mounting up isn't a desireable thing.

And the way I've got it rigged gives me ready access to the dump valve.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dan Gibson:
Yea, but you are probably doing more diving off a boat. I'm generally in a cave so damaging a boat sitting down and the fact that I have a cheap $60 argon reg like Soggy sells and I don't have to worry about smashing it :wink:

I just know too high is uncomfortable to the back and the valve should not be in line with the dump. Isn't there a story about positioning the valve near the dump and a runaway inflator incident?

You are thinking of the CF where the victim went head down and tried to turn off the right post while dumping with the butt dump and kicking down with the feet. That's not my response to a runaway wing. Too complicated. I can't walk and chew gum.

That incident was also instigated by detuning the long hose on a Apeks diaphram reg, which defeated its OPV capabilities when the IP crept past 300psi and routed the gas to the wing. I use SP regs :)

I am never in that big a rush to reach the butt dump. Its always right in the space between the valve and the tank crown. Yes, I do alot of both boat and shore diving where I gear up on a wall, bench, or pickup tailgate. Don't care about scratches, but do try and consider how things are routed.

That's the story. It went round and round as the best way to dump and solve the problem. I personally think pinching off the inflator hose would be best until one can shutdown. One thing I didn't agree with was which dumped faster; the rear dump or deflator. There is no question the rear dump has a bigger opening and should dump faster. I'm not saying it's the way to solve the problem. I actually asked JJ and he responded that they had actually tested being inverted while holding the rear dump open and inflating and could reach a steady state. I can neither confirm or deny the authenticity of such a test, but it would be interesting to test.

rjack321:
You are thinking of the CF where the victim went head down and tried to turn off the right post while dumping with the butt dump and kicking down with the feet. That's not my response to a runaway wing. Too complicated. I can't walk and chew gum.

That incident was also instigated by detuning the long hose on a Apeks diaphram reg, which defeated its OPV capabilities when the IP crept past 300psi and routed the gas to the wing. I use SP regs :)

I am never in that big a rush to reach the butt dump. Its always right in the space between the valve and the tank crown. Yes, I do alot of both boat and shore diving where I gear up on a wall, bench, or pickup tailgate. Don't care about scratches, but do try and consider how things are routed.

Dan Gibson:
That's the story. It went round and round as the best way to dump and solve the problem. I personally think pinching off the inflator hose would be best until one can shutdown. One thing I didn't agree with was which dumped faster; the rear dump or deflator. There is no question the rear dump has a bigger opening and should dump faster. I'm not saying it's the way to solve the problem. I actually asked JJ and he responded that they had actually tested being inverted while holding the rear dump open and inflating and could reach a steady state. I can neither confirm or deny the authenticity of such a test, but it would be interesting to test.
Actually the best way to solve the problem is to ditch those silly steel inflators and get something more reliable. To date, the inflator that came on my H wings (both the Eclipse and Evolve) are the most potentially dangerous equipment failures I've experienced ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually the best way to solve the problem is to ditch those silly steel inflators and get something more reliable. To date, the inflator that came on my H wings (both the Eclipse and Evolve) are the most potentially dangerous equipment failures I've experienced ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yea...I never liked them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom