Dry suit newbie. Love it. Need recomendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SLT system works great and changing out wrist seals are a breeze. Take your time donning the silicone seals, they can tear more easily that latex IMO.

Also can someone explain the difference in the fusion suits? Sounds like each one has a different construction and layers (I've checked the website out). I dove with a guy that had an old Whites but no one at the dive shop (I find odd including the owner and instructors) has an Aqua Lung/Whites which is what they sell.

So, all of the White's Fusion suits have the same drysuit with different shells. The drysuit is a bag with some velcro on it. It's REALLY simple/plain. It fits loose. It's not very pretty to look at. The shell goes over the drysuit (semi-permanently attached via velcro) to protect it and give you looks/features. The Sport is the basic, lightest, quickest to dry....but it has no pockets. Tech is more rugged, takes longer to dry, but has pockets. The Bullet is SUPER tough, takes even longer to dry, and has pockets as well. Most people speak poorly of the Bullet because it's too stiff. I recommend the Tech, as I'm a firm believer in pockets....even if only as an option.

When you say stiff is it because it's thicker? Does it feel similar to a crushed neophrene suit? Also the suits have socks and you buy boots that go on over the suit and attach to the outer shell?

When you say stiff is it because it's thicker? Does it feel similar to a crushed neophrene suit? Also the suits have socks and you buy boots that go on over the suit and attach to the outer shell?

Partially thicker, but mostly it seems to just be a tighter weave. It doesn't feel like a crushed neoprene suit, no....more like a 1mm lycra. The job of the outer shell is to: 1) Look good, 2) Protect the drysuit, 3) Hold in all of the loose outer shell.

As for boots, these suits (I think) have pre-installed boot options which I don't like. I like socks on my drysuits and wearing my own boots over them. No need to "attach" them to any shell, simply put them on like you would any other boot or shoe.

Thanks for the responses. Based on my research on the net I'm going to make a trip up to Dive right in scuba in Illinois. It's a bit of a drive but I'd feel better about being able to try on some things prior to spending that much money.

Thanks for the responses. Based on my research on the net I'm going to make a trip up to Dive right in scuba in Illinois. It's a bit of a drive but I'd feel better about being able to try on some things prior to spending that much money.
Fantastic choice.

Finally made it up To Dive Right in Scuba. Great place with great people. Highly recommend them. Wish we had shops near my hometown with that much gear/knowledge in one place. Dealt with Chris and he was great to deal with. They took care of me and got me geared up. Looking forward to trying the suit out when it comes in.

Pockets are a VERY nice thing to have. Big cargo pockets.
Friends who have tried it seem to think a neophrene neck seal is wonderful, warmer and more comfortable.

A neophrene suit is warmer, but if you do a lot of deep diving it's loss of warmth and changing bouyancy can be a problem -or so my friends who have owned both types have said. My daughter has only had a neophrene suit, has done a lot of deep diving but has never noticed a problem. Neophrene suits rarely leak from small holes or pulled seams, just damaged or poorly positioned seals, zipper problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom