Dry Suit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCARR

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why we leave air in dry suits and use them for buoyancy control? Why not burp all of the air out of the dry suit with the neck seal while you are in the water at the surface, then use your BC for Buoyancy Control. You could eliminate all the issues of trapping air in the legs, or somewhere else. My BC has 3 valves to let air out, so no matter which way I am pointed it works. I would not think it would be to help keep you warm as the small volume of air always moves to the top of the suit depending on your attitude, leaving the rest of the suit in the same condition as a fully burped suit. I am sure I am missing an important reason. Please help. Thanks Jon.

You'd be surprised, the small volume of air not only keeps you warm it keeps the amazing amounts of pressure that water exerts at various depths from squeezing the life out of you in tender spots.

I use my BC for buoyancy and have as small amount of air in my drysuit as possible, but once the water squeezes it tight it is both uncomfortable and cold. I've been swimming along before and noticed I was getting colder (small drop in depth while swimming along a reef or something) add a small blast of air its like sitting in front of a heater.

Some use the suit entirely for buoyancy, doesn't work for me but I can see it's usefulness. Only one source of air to manage vs. 2. I like using my bc for buoyancy because I've done it that way for years, and if my feet get floaty or my attitude changes and shifts me up, I dump my bc some and voila, I'm neutral again.

Suit squeeze

The deeper you go, the more you get squeezed, the more air you need to add to the suit to reduce squeeze. If the squeeze doesn't bother you use the BC. Some people recommend using the BC for adjusting boyancy (hence the name). Others recommend using the dry suit. Some dry suit manufacturers recommend using the suit for boyancy.

Either way works you just need to decide what works best for you.

JCARR once bubbled... Can anyone explain why we leave air in dry suits and use them for buoyancy control? Why not burp all of the air out of the dry suit with the neck seal while you are in the water at the surface, then use your BC for Buoyancy Control. You could eliminate all the issues of trapping air in the legs, or somewhere else. My BC has 3 valves to let air out, so no matter which way I am pointed it works. I would not think it would be to help keep you warm as the small volume of air always moves to the top of the suit depending on your attitude, leaving the rest of the suit in the same condition as a fully burped suit. I am sure I am missing an important reason. Please help. Thanks Jon.
You've described the way I use my drysuit nearly all of the time. The only time I'm not "vacuum packed" is at the surface. The exhaust valve is backed off all the way when I'm under.

In the days of horse collars, using the suit for buoyancy control made some sense. Newer BC designs make that unnecessary.

Essentially it's a matter of personal preference & training.

There are pros & cons to either method. But neither can truly be dubbed "right" or "wrong".

So, no bashing, please!

I was trained to use the drysuit for bouyancy but quickly realized i dont like the air cell moving around my suit (like the legs.) Now, I use my bc for bouyancy control and pump air into the drysuit only to eliminate squeeze. Dive both and decide which is better for you

There are pros & cons to either method. But neither can truly be dubbed "right" or "wrong".

.... to using the suit for buoyancy?

I can think of none, and LOTS of negatives.

bertschb once bubbled...
What are the negatives to using the dry suit?

I use my drysuit only for warmth - if I want buoyancy I use my BCD.

Advantages to using the drysuit for buoyancy:
1. Only one place where air for buoyancy is put, so only one place to dump it from.
2. Agrees with what many recreational training agencies teach.

Advantages to using the bcd for buoyancy:
1. No big blob of air moving around inside your drysuit.
2. Easier on the suit - especially when diving doubles & stages when you need start a dive somewhat negative.
3. General comfort - you always have the same feeling in your suit
4. Easier to adjust buoyancy - I can dump the bcd more quickly and more thoroughly than a drysuit.
5. Less drysuit gas needed - on trimix you'll typically carry a small argon tank for the drysuit and it's nice to have that tank be as small as possible.

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom