Dry suit seal? Latex or Neo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahorse

Reaction score
Looking for my first drysuit. What's the difference between Latex and Neo? Which one do you like better? Any one know about Bare Neo-stretch-Skin? Thank you very much!

Neoprene tends to be more durable and has some inherent insulation. Latex on the other hand tneds to be more comfortable and in some cases seals better.

Often the type of seal is not really an option and is a secondary consideration in the suit selection process.

Seems a personal preference thing, some people dont like tight latex seals although personally i prefer them (not having to mess with folding in and so on).

Some people with skinny wrists/necks or grooves sometimes find latex seal better.

Latex does stand a higher chance of perishing or breaking with a careless sharp point however it can be repaired in minutes with a kit.

Other than that, some people are allergic to latex or neoprene so that might affect their choice.

Ive had latex on both my drysuits but like i said, personal preference.

The belief that neoprene seals are more prone to leak is greatly exaggerated. The key, for either really, is good fit. Neoprene seals are more durable than latex simply because the neoprene itself is tougher than latex and not as subject to deterioration from sunlight, body oils, etc. Neoprene is a little tougher to put on- the seal has to be folded over on itself. This "loop" in the material, along with air in the suit is what helps maintain seal integrity. In most cases, the suit manufacturer dictates what type of seals are available anyway. There aren't too many that offer a choice but given one, I would choose neoprene.

The neoprene "leak" is more accurately seepage, IMHO neoprene wrist seals allowed air to burp out of the suit if I got my hand too high above my body whether I was attempting to vent or reach over to my buddy. It's not so much air that it really screws my buoyancy, but it's enough to open the seal and allow the tiniest bit of water in each time. I dove a suit that fit pretty well, but did belong to a friend. After the dives I was wet down both arms and into the upper abdomen area. I broke down and went with latex seals, 100 or so dives later I'm completely over the cost difference >$200 for the suit I went with. I'll probably be replacing them soon though.

scubahorse:
Looking for my first drysuit. What's the difference between Latex and Neo? Which one do you like better? Any one know about Bare Neo-stretch-Skin? Thank you very much!
I've tried both and had leakage from both, but I blame that more on my inexperience than on the seals. I started diving using a drysuit with neoprene seals. Now I'm using a drysuit with latex seals. I switched because a drysuit with latex seals is MUCH easier to put on. I find that folding the neoprene seals rips the hair off my wrists.

I heard someone one describe latex seals as working by stopping the water getting under. Neoprene work by being so large the water gets bored working its way under it :)

In reality provided a neoprene seal is properly fitted and *folded* properly i cant see why it would be any more prone to leaking or burping.

Having used a neoprene suit for years prior to getting my shell suit, in comparing the neoprene seals to latex I can sum it up in two words... neoprene leaks. How much depends on a lot of things, and over the years I developed methods and behaviors to all but eliminate leaks... but "but" is the operable word. They leak.
That said, neoprene does have advantages in cost and durability that may outweigh the leaky seals. Depends on what kind of diving you're doing.

Rick

Have to agree that neoprene is more likely to leak. I have trouble with me neck seal everytime I crane my head up or down. In fact I am sending my suit in to have a latex seal put on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom