Dry suit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased a used dry suit but don't have any of the "factory" under garments. I've been told that you can use underarmor, thermal underwear, sweat shirts/pants etc.. which work just fine. I know that how much layered clothing like this that I use is ultimately going to be whatever makes me comfortable but I'd like to try and save some time experimenting with this and see if anyone out there can offer some advice as to what they use at xyz temperature. The suit is a DUI cf200x.

Thanks

I've tried a few different undergarments ... Diving Concepts Thinsulate, Fourth Element Extreme, a couple different brands of polartec, and Weezle Extreme. Of them all, the Weezle Extreme has worked best for me in the environment I typically dive in ... low-40's to mid-50's Fahrenheit. I dive trilaminate suits.

The tradeoff is usually that as you add layers or thicker undergarments for warmth, you have to add more weight to offset the inherent buoyancy of the undergarment. The Weezle seems to offer the best thermal protection for the amount of lead needed to sink it. I have a Santi 400G thinsulate garment that will provide slightly greater warmth ... but at the cost of 6 lbs more lead than my Weezle.

The other thing I really like about the Weezle is that it keeps me warm even when wet. Now, granted, you have to choose a good base layer to wear underneath it. I go with the UnderArmour Cold Gear ... which is a lycra-like material that wicks moisture away from the skin. But I recently had an hour-plus dive in 46 degree water where my drysuit leaked and I was wet from chest to knees ... and didn't feel particularly cold during the dive.

Yet another thing I like about the Weezle is that it's easy to launder. Just toss it in the washing machine and hang it up to dry. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Weezles aren't cheap ... but they're no more expensive than Fourth Element or any of the several Thinsulate undergarments on the market. Any of them will serve you well, frankly ... the Weezle just gives me more overall satisfaction than the others I've tried.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've noticed that is a common sentiment regarding Weezles

If your cold and it takes more than makeshift garments, then, much like a lot of things, spend your money up front for quality undergarment

The stuff I pointed out earlier will (have to) do until my funds allow me to do more :)

If you are looking to save a little money and you plan on diving in moderate temp waters, have a look at a body sock. https://www.cdsportswear.com/ I have one (style 2) and they are not bad; however, for deep cold dives I use a DUI 300 or 400. I tried wearing heavy sweats one time and that was a complete disaster as far as material getting wet and heat retention was concerned. Save yourself the trouble and buy a quality undergarment from the start and you won't regret it.

Hi, I am very interested in seeing what this 'Ron' gentleman has to offer for undergarments, but does anyone know how to get in touch with him? is he still in business. does he have his own website or at least en email for phone number?

Last Time I checked he was on e-bay (as rondell something or other) I bought a double layer fleece from him which is very warm and was only about $90.

The original ebay link goes to his account, but shows that he is not selling anything at the moment. I was also interested.

Hi, I am very interested in seeing what this 'Ron' gentleman has to offer for undergarments, but does anyone know how to get in touch with him? is he still in business. does he have his own website or at least en email for phone number?

The original ebay link goes to his account, but shows that he is not selling anything at the moment. I was also interested.
last sale was Oct 21 so it was recent ... why not message him, he sometimes gets busy but usually has quite a selection of undergarments ... you can look at some of the items purchased in his feedback

I own a DUI TLS 350, and I dive it in water ranging from 34-65 degrees F. I use Under Armour Cold Gear (shirt and pants) as a base layer, and I also wear the Arctic Fourth Element Shirt, Pants, Socks as well as a 7mm neoprene hood. I stay pretty toasty!

I bought one of Rondel's double layer polartec undergarments via eBay and couldn't be happier with it.

Excellent quality and I'll happily dive it with just a wicking layer down to 15 deg C and in conjunction with some 4th element xerotherms below that.

The price, in comparison with other polartec fleece products, couldn't be beaten even when taking into account shipping and import taxes to the UK.

The only downside as far as I can see is that he only intermittently has stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom