dry suit underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever I am in my Whites Fusion drysuit I layer. The colder it gets the more layers I wear. I start with a pair of wicking shorts and shirt like these from reebok , then I go for a base layer from 4th element. As it gets colder I go from base to Xerotherm to Artic. I am walking advertisement for Fourth Element:D.

I failed to fully seal my drysuit on sunday when swimming around to work on trim in the pool. I didn't even notice the leak until I felt sloshing in a leg after an hour, but the Bare SB base layer was totally soaked, had to throw it in the dryer to go back Monday to ensure it was just me that flooded the suit. But the totally wet base layer layer still kept me warm.

I'm going on a trip and went to buy another set of the SB base layer but nobody has both the top and bottom in size ML, so I'll try out the much cheaper and thinner White's glacier base layer.

As I say ad nauseam: cotton is the best fiber to keep you cold if it's cold

Just for clarification, is this in regards to cotton anywhere, or as a base layer. I've inherited a set of polyester and a set of silk long underwear along with 100% cotton long underwear. Could I wear the polyester base layer and then the cotton over that, or would that be pointless? Is cotton any different than the 200g undersuits most people seem to have?

Cotton=COLD

Cotton is an abomination when combined with "cold" and "wet".
Even though a drysuit is supposed to be dry... YOU always supply a certain amount of moisture.

Wool is the only fibre that will keep its warmin abilities whilst moist/wet.
So... The ultimate combination will be:
1. Technical thin wicking layer (I prefer merino... however technical comboes goes just as good)
2. Either a fitting under suit or another layer of pure wool undies
3. Undersuit.

YES. Cotton is VERY different form the undersuits. Cotton will retain ALL the moisture it can, and it will lose ALL its thermal abilities.

...//... In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of technical wool underwear. There's no other fiber that keeps you as warm and dry when you get damp and wet. ...//...

Absolutely agree. Thanks to Finn Mom's advice, I got Hot Wool socks and underwear. OMG! Hotwool | Aclima I layer over this with my Patagonia Capilene so that my Polartec Ninja suit won't grab when I'm pulling it over the wool base layer. That combo will take me all the way to ice diving in my neoprene drysuit.

I have to ask, where do you guys get your aclima? I'm assuming you don't all live in or near Norway.

Marc.Collins - when I used my crushed neoprene drysuit I wore synthetic long underwear, no boxers, and a pair of synthetic semi-sweats on my bottom half with some wool socks. Top was two synthetic long sleeve shirts and a micro fleece and I didn't even realize I was wet in 43* water until I changed out of them.

I have to ask, where do you guys get your aclima? I'm assuming you don't all live in or near Norway.
It seems it's difficult to find overseas, but they have agents in several European countries, including the UK. Aclima - Where to buy

For the next layer (over the wicking layer), I'm a great fan of Woolpower's wool terry. I've been using their products topside for more than two decades and haven't found anything nearly as good. It works quite well as a base layer as well. Woolpower - Distributors

(no, I don't get any commisions, but I have to admit I have a personal interest in these companies being able to stay alive until the next time I have to replace my wool underwear)

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 04:02 AM ----------

BTW, just yesterday I was out diving. Topside it was on the chilly side (-8C / 18F), but the water was quite nice (6C / 43F). I was wearing my Aclima Woolnet, a Woolpower short-sleeve T-shirt and my 200gsm Aqualung undergarments under my trilam suit. One of my drygloves leaked, so after a 40min dive, I was soaked up to the shoulder on my left arm. It could have been more comfortable, but even a 20min boat ride back from the site was quite bearable although my left hand and arm were soaking wet. In -8C / 18F. Wool. It works, b*tch!

Sorry, just saw this. I buy from these guys, they have all the international stuff figured out, credit card over the phone:

sales@nordicoutdoor.co.uk or call us at +44 (0)131 552 3000 Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST.

As for underwear underwear I use synthetic boxer shorts. Then a wicking base layer. When it's colder I use an Aclima wool top as a medium layer (and have pants if it's really cold).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom