Dry Suits- requesting everybody's 2 cents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a dry suit, looking for pros and cons on the different kinds, ie. tri-lam, neoprene, crushed neoprene, 50/50, vulcanized rubber etc. I would like to hear the various comments before I go out & spend the big bucks.

Would also like to hear comments on the different manufactures, if any of you have any comments on them.

I WILL ALSO take a dry-suit class before diving in it.

Thanks

Don, you'll probably come up with as many opinions as there are manufacturers. Basically, you have to decide what features you want in your drysuit & how much you want to pay for those features. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, THEN DECIDE.

As you probably already know, drysuits provide the most exposure protection by keeping water away from your skin. Their warmth lies in several things: (1) the basic thermal properties of the drysuit material itself; (2) the type & amount of garments you wear under the suit. (3) how much air you put into the suit.

Wearing a drysuit is akin to wearing a big pair of sleepers: you are encased from neck to toe in the suit, with your head & hands exposed. Most suits are back entry, which means that someone has to zip you in & out of the suit. The two self donning makes that come to mind right now are DUI and Abyss. There may well be more out there...

SUIT MATERIALS
Basically, suits fall into 2 categories: shell or neoprene. Shells can be anything from vulcanized rubber to tri-laminates (3 layers of various materials, one of which is usually nylon). Neoprenes can be the usual 1/4" closed cell or the more exotic crushed neoprene. Fit is important in either suit: you should have a full range of motion regardless of what the suit is made from.

Shells give some protection against the temperature of the outside water; however, what you wear underneath them is the determining factor in how warm you will be. You can wear anything from a t-shirt & shorts to full "woolly bears", or multiple layers of clothing. Shell materials have minimal buoyancy characteristics, so you require less weight to be neutrally buoyant.

Regular 1/4' neoprene gives you a lot of insulation against the cold (outside water), but it also means more inherent buoyancy. Thus, you must wear more weight to be neutrally buoyant. Again, what you wear depends entirely on how warm you want to be. Like it's wetsuit cousin, 1/4" tends to be somewhat restrictive unless fitted properly. They are usually the most economically priced suits.

Crushed neoprene is only available through a couple of manufacturers. Because all the N2 bubbles in the neoprene have been "crushed" out of it, it has very little buoyancy of its own. It is heavier, more durable, flexible, and gives more insulation than tri-lams. However, since it is a patented product only available through a couple of manufacturers (like DUI) it is very expensive.

SEALS
Drysuits seal at the neck & wrists. Seals are made of two materials: latex or neoprene.

Latex is suppler, conforms well to the contours of the body, is less restrictive and so easier to adapt to & fit. However, it is also more expensive than neoprene, tears easily, is higher maintenance, and has no thermal properties (colder).

Neoprene is less expensive, very forgiving of abuse, requires less maintenance, and has some thermal properties of it's own (warmer). However, it is less supple than latex (more restrictive), and thus may takes a little longer to "get used to".

ZIPPER
Arguably, this is the most important and most expensive part of the drysuit. If this item "goes" it is literally HUNDREDS of dollars to replace, because of its highly specialized nature. There are particular care requirements to this type of zipper, but they are minimal and easy to incorporate into your usual routine of good equipment maintenance. Like most dive gear, if you take good care of your drysuit, it will take good care of you. :)

MISC
Generally, drysuit divers tend to need about the same amount of weight as someone diving wet in 1/4" neoprene, EXCEPT if you opt for 1/4" neoprene drysuit... air+ neoprene = more weight. Also, drysuit divers tend to need/use ankle weights, although this is not always the case.

You have made a wise decision to take a drysuit course. A drysuit is not just a passive piece of equipment that you can put on & use. Divers new to drysuit diving need to learn the proper & SAFE way to use the suit.

------------------------------------------------------------

My first drysuit was a 1/4" neoprene back entry Wardell with neoprene seals. At $600 Cdn it was a great intro suit, even though as an "older model" it had a few quirks like a manual exhaust valve located on the left side of the chest. The coldest water temp I dove in it was about 35F.

Now, several years later here in the US I'm using a DUI self-donning trilam (350TLS) with neoprene seals & Rock Boots. So far the coldest water I've been in with it has been approx. 58F. It cost considerably more that $600Cdn! :wink:

BTW, you can get some great prices on used suits from dive stores, or from manufactures/stores where someone has put a deposit on a custom suit then left it. But as in anything, caveat emptor... let the buyer beware!

All that being said, no one who dives dry ever goes back to diving wet, except in tropical waters. Its just makes diving temperate waters so much better. So says someone from The Great White North, eh? (aka Canada.)!

Good luck,

~SubMariner~

Sub Mariner,
I've studied the different types of construction, different types of seals etc. Why did you choose DUI as opposed to Oceaner, Whites, Diving Concepts etc. & why did you choose the type of seals you have. Do you prefer back entry over front? Neoprene or tri-lam? Sock foot or boots? What options did you order? Also would you buy another one from them if you needed to?

King_Neptune, speak up & kill this visual image I have of you running around the house in your "Chammyz" boxer shorts
hehe.
I know that out there in Cal., Mich. & Canada there are lots of you that use dry suits-------so speak up.

One of my dive buddies has a dry suit. This is his second one. This time he chose a front entry suit so he can zip his own up instead of relying on someone else. The underwear can get caught in the zipper if someone isn't careful causing your suit to leak. His entry zipper is across his chest. He also has a zipper quite a bit lower on his suit to accomodate fully clothed bathroom breaks.

Those are my two cents, if you're diving in the Great Lakes check out http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

Don, I chose a DUI because my Better Half has a CF200 "crushed neoprene" that is about 8 yrs old and has praised DUI beyond words for workmanship & customer service. (That being said, the CF has been retired and another TLS350 custom is in the family.)I hadn't any experience with them one way or the other, so I figured I give them a try, esp since they seem to offer the most options, esp with regard to a custom suit.

My choices & why I went with them:

Neoprene vs. latex seal. Better Half's latex seals on the CF200 were his only complaint about that suit (how delicate they were & how much maintenance was involved). Thus both TLS350s in the family have neoprene seals. (Interesting aside: Better Half has had 3 drysuits before this DUI and all the others with the exception of the CF 200 had neoprene seals.) Bearing that in mind plus the fact that I didn't know anything but neoprene & was confortable with it, I figured I'd stick with what I knew. Esp given the difference in price & my propensity to be over zealous when putting my hands & head through the seals.

Self Donning. This was a MUST. I simply was sick & tired of having to find someone to zip me up or unzip me. Although this means a longer drysuit zipper & hence a bigger risk of getting it caught in something or stress on it, once you get used to proper entry & exit from a drysuit zipper, this pretty much becomes a non-issue.

Rock boots. I picked the option on the TLS350 that has CF200 socks as opposed to the traditional "Frankenstein's Monster" rubber boot. This meant having to wear less socks in the foot portion: I now wear 1 pair whereas before I had to wear 2 to take up the extra room in the rubber boot. Over the crushed neoprene sock I wear the Rock Boot. Unfortunately, for me it still means having to use a different set of adjustable fins for the drysuit (Rock Boots) vs wetsuit (soft booties) because of the larger foot pocket requirement. However, since I already had this pair of fins from my other drysuit with the Monster rubber boots, this was not a problem. I love the Rock Boots! Not only do they give you more sure footing than those Monster boots, but for me it means being able to lace them up tight enough to keep air out of the feet! Hence I no longer have to wear ankle wts or worry so much about the air migrating to my feet if I'm in a less than horizontal position.

Trilam. 1/4" neoprene was too thick & clumsey. Being in the trilam gives me much more flexibility & freedom of movement. It also required more weight for 1/4" neo than I have to wear with the Trilam. In fresh water with the neo I was wearing 14# around my waist with a pair of 1.5# ankle wts and my steel HP 80 tank. With the trilam I wear about 10# around my waist with my steel HP 80 tank and that's it, even with several layers of clothing on under the trilam in cooler waters (50F). Since I spend a lot of time on my knees with students or taking pictures, I opted for kevlar knee pads.

Another option: big self-draining pocket on my right thigh. This is great for slates (again, a teaching thing) or other "must haves" that don't fit properly in BC pockets.

Adjustable exhaust valve on the bicep. A non-issue with most of today's suits, but my old Wardell had a MANUAL purge/exhaust located on the left chest that meant you had to put THAT PART of your body as the high point in order for it to purge properly. (I leave it up to your imagination as to the contortions. :p) The adjustable exhaust on the bicep is such a breeze to use; you can literally adjust it so that with a slight lifting of your arm, it's purged!

As for whether I'd get another DUI... ask me in a few years. This one only has about 12 dives on it (this past year).

Sorry for the long reply. Aren't you sorry you asked now? :wink:

Bon chance!

~SubMariner~

Not long at all.
This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for your time.

Don I've had the thick neoprene suits. They are WARM! They are also VERY buoyant and somewhat restrictive. I currently have a shell suit and love it. It's great and requires very little extra weighting. Undergarments DO determine how warm you stay, (unless you're inflating with trimix - ha ha). I have yet to hear a complaint on crushed neoprene suits!
Norm

I recently bought a self donning OS System trilam and love it. The suit seems quite well constructed but I only have 4 dives on this particular suit. Major drawback is the huge amount of excess material needed to create the self donning feature. Two straps secure the material around my waist but in currents I believe there would be a great increase in drag. I highly recommend the DUI undergarments, my choice was the SF2 jumpsuit which is a medium weight thermal liner. I had to add 8 more pounds to counter the extra bouyancy. I was wearing 18 with a 7mm semi-dry.
My dive buddy worked in a dive store and tried multiple DUI's. Her only complaint was the inflator always leaked but that may have been as simple as a faulty o-ring in her low pressure connector.
Unless you have a latex allergy I feel latex seals are the way to go. Drawback: they are very sensitive to any cuts and will split quickly. Major advantages are they don't streach as much and the tuck is not required.
Consider the added pockets on the legs, a must have is kevlar or some other sturdy pad on the knees.
Whatever you get spend lots of time getting used to it. If you are not intimately familiar with your suit it can eat your lunch in a matter of seconds.
Dave

I went with the Crushed Neo because I do a lot of wreck diving off of NJ. The wrecks can be pretty unforgiving on suits.

I knew I did'nt want a foam neo suit. I've seen em and no way!.

I got mine with the latex seals. I've tried the neo seals and they were just not comfortable. The latex seals do seen fragile, but I just bought new Henderson gauntlet style glove that seem to go half way up my arm. The new DUI's come with a 'warm neck' option. It gives you a place to tuck the bib of the hood into. should minimize water flow quite a bit.

The only drawback to the crushed neo suits is drying time. The inside tends to stay damp for quite a while. The outside dries in a day or 2. This however is a small price for the durability of the suit.

The other drawback is cost. Luckily that was'nt a determining factor for me.

Dive safe (and dry and toasty)

Bill

I appear to be one of the odd balls, I like a neoprene suit. I went diving last fall in a DUI TLS-350 and ended up over the winter buying a neoprene suit from Ocean Ray. (It looks a lot like a Unisuit but with a back zipper and it fits a lot better) I found that the weight necessary for the two types of suits to be about the same for cold water, <45F. I wear much less under the neoprene than I did under the DUI. With the DUI and its undergarments I felt cold in water that was 39F. I was ice diving this winter with just polypropylene long underwear on under the neoprene and stayed quite warm even with a water temp of 34F. As far as the loss of insulation as a function of depth, in my case I don't get too deep, so it doesn't bother me. The suit fits very well and I can't say that I feel restricted in it. It is cordura covered so it should take a lot of abuse and I like having the hood attached. On the down side, once the air temp starts getting back up I will be going back to diving wet since I will get roasted on the surface when the air temp is anything over about 55F.

One thing about Ocean Ray is that they were just bought and moved to Florida. I ordered my suit before the sale and got the base suit for $580. Adding a relief zipper and a few other touches pushed the price to about $700.00. For what I use a dry suit for, I ended up with a very good suit for the price.

JoelW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom