Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Zips on both neck and cuff. I'm happy with the cuff seals. Just a week or two ago I found a tear in a seal and it took only a few minutes to fix (I keep a spare set in my gear box.) I also like that I can get a bit longer life out of the zip seals. That is, I have some seals that I would have replaced if I had known it would mean the suit stuck in the shop for a week, but since I know I could change the seals if they were to break, I let it go a bit longer*. I'm thinking of trying to see if one can replace the latex on the zip seal so it doesn't cost as much as the retail replacements.

I am not as much of a fan of the neck seal. For me the neck seal is just a little too small. If you read the zip seal documents closely, they mention that the neck seal is limited to heads below a certain size. While it's ok for most people I'm on the edge and the "zip" part of the zip seal just barely fits around my head. If it wasn't for this size issue, I'd like the neck zip seals as much as the cuff seals.

I've also tried the thick dry gloves (CF200 material) with the zip seals. I do not recommend DUI's offerings for dry gloves as they make gearing up more complicated. Most dry glove systems allow you to put the gloves on last, but with zip seal dry gloves they have to be one of the first things you put on. If I were to do dry gloves again, I'd look for a system that allows for putting the gloves on last. I should mention that it might not be as bad if you use the thinner dry-gloves as I have only used the really thick ones.

Edit:
* Just a thought after re-reading my post. I only do this for recreational dives. If it were a wreck penetration or deco dive, I'd be more careful about seal condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom