Dryfob vs custom divers canister for PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ls1dreams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for a canister for PLB + car keys.

Price looks similar between them. However Dryfob doesn't include any kind of attachment.

Anyone recommend how to attach it since it doesn't include one like custom divers?

There are a number of options in these (reasonable-length) threads:

And towards the end of this grad-daddy of threads:

TL-DR Tie a boltsnap onto it through the attachment hole, put it in a pocket (evidently HOG sells a perfectly sized, inexpensive one), fab an attachment loop with cord/webbing and a clamp. I probably missed some other suggestions.

ETA: maybe @Jaan has some further suggestions that I forgot.

Thanks @-JD- , yes, pointed @ls1dreams at some of these suggestions too.
tmassey did a comprehensive review as an early adopter of the XL here:

Feel free to reach out if I can help further anytime...

Can't comment on the Custom Divers unit.... but it looks to me to be just a rebranded "Wicked" unit...... and I don't see any "attachment" benefit over the DryFob other than the "holster". I also think it's important to point out that the DryFob unit is fine threaded CNC machined aluminum with tight tolerances rather than the plastic Custom Divers unit. And........ the DryFob most definitely has two attachment points on the lid.

I recently returned from a 10 day (May, 25 + dive trip to Bonaire and the DryFob performed flawlessly on NDL dives to 110ft so that's all I can attest to. I even tested it by putting a single ZigZAG rolling paper into the unit along with my keys and some cash and not one single molecule of water entered that unit. :cool:

ut448dm.jpg

I went with the Custom Divers one - its made of Delrin I think so tough as and fairly unbreakable, and no potential of corrosion issues

no potential of corrosion issues
I don’t think this was meant as a criticism but in case it raises any doubts or concerns, the anodized aluminum won’t corrode either. A popular material used in a lot of high end dive gear.

I have just used a standard gangion / surgical tubing-type lanyard, looped through one of the mounting holes and affixed to a D-ring on my BC -- no muss no fuss.

Doesn't seem to get in the way . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom