Dryfob vs custom divers canister for PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking for a canister for PLB + car keys.

Price looks similar between them. However Dryfob doesn't include any kind of attachment.

Anyone recommend how to attach it since it doesn't include one like custom divers?
I use a delrin canister for my PLB1 from Custom Divers in the UK. I secure it to the waist strap harness webbing using a thick piece of bungie. The bungie loops around the strap and over the top of the canister holding it in place. I wear it on the left between the plate and the d ring which leaves the right side for the light canister.

Attachments

• PLB Canister.jpg
    PLB Canister.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
The bungie loops around the strap and over the top of the canister holding it in place.
Both canisters are quite similar in shape so these mounting tips would most likely work for either one.

For belts for example:
1691673407347.png
1691673525855.png
1691673565236.png

BTW we got a few more green and orange XLs in case anyone was waiting for one of these on backorder.

If you want to spend more money Light Monkey will make you a custom canister out of delrin to any size you want. I wanted something a little bigger. Mine fits a PLB or cellphone, dye pack, mirror and whistle.

We ordered these several years ago before the DryFob was available. Hard to beat the price of the DryFob now.

I've made a slight variation on the example that @Jaan posted above.

Just a hose clamp in a tubular webbing sleeve, a small piece of excess harness webbing and bungee. The double bungee loop is sort of a safety lock so it doesn't inadvertently come loose.

It'd be great if Dryfob could add a couple of the more popular attachment ideas as optional accessories!

Attachments

• IMG_20230605_192236.jpg
    IMG_20230605_192236.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230605_192246.jpg
    IMG_20230605_192246.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230605_192309.jpg
    IMG_20230605_192309.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 53
I've made a slight variation on the example that @Jaan posted above.

Just a hose clamp in a tubular webbing sleeve, a small piece of excess harness webbing and bungee. The double bungee loop is sort of a safety lock so it doesn't inadvertently come loose.

It'd be great if Dryfob could add a couple of the more popular attachment ideas as optional accessories!
This is a good attachment option @stiebs thank you for sharing. Mind if I put a pic on our FAQ?

Yes, we have been thinking of adding some of these and I think we will. I found some crappy clips that we were going to throw in but never felt good about them. We would like to offer some good/solid made to measure options. I've been thinking
(1) good 316 stainless boltsnap with a short bungee attachment
(2) something like a hoseclamp / bungee /belt mount (but I like your option here with the tubular sleeve)

One idea may be the dive-rite flashlight attachment for some of the non-MacGyver's out there :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement on this .. I think it would help many folks that order ...

Back
Top Bottom