Dryglove systems: Viking Bayonet vs. Diving Concepts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C:
If you leave the rings in place it does not take any time to switch between a wet or dryglove. Removing the rings attached to the drysuit is easy, but putting them back can be a pain.

I also understand that D.U.I. has a new zip dryglove with both the wrist seal and glove attached. The question is...can the glove be easily removed?

If you use DUI's DAM gloves (which have the inner seal) you cannot take the gloves off to dive with wetgloves. Well, you can but you will need to strip the top of the suit and install your (separate) zip seals first. DAM seals are attached to the glove part, and once you remove the zip gloves those seals will be gone too. So swapping to wetgloves means you need to swap the zippies.

Has anyone used the Viking/s system with zip system? I was always planning to get cheaper gloves and DC system for backup a'la Mot2vation DIY but has anyone experience of Viking with zips?

The hardest thing I found with all the dry gloves out there is the price! I paid $170cdn for mine (Si tech)and can't possible see how it would cost more than $10 in materials. For the luck I have had hit and miss, I wish I would have tried to make a pair first. The exact same gloves can be bought a any hardware store for less than $6 in the cleaning section. And a little playing around with PVC pipe would be a heck of alot cheaper and give the same results. There is a desciption in the DIY section here on how to make a set. TRY IT FIRST and save big time. As it was I spent over an hour having to make the ones I bought work. Glued the glove with aqua seal to the outer ring as it kept comimg off when I put my hand through , and had to cut back the new liners because they were as long as the outer glove and got in the way when attaching to the wrist. Biggest ripoff in gear out there. Oh and it usaully takes another person to put them on so they seal correctly, they are not very self donning friendly. I hope this helps.

piikki:
If you use DUI's DAM gloves (which have the inner seal) you cannot take the gloves off to dive with wetgloves. Well, you can but you will need to strip the top of the suit and install your (separate) zip seals first. DAM seals are attached to the glove part, and once you remove the zip gloves those seals will be gone too. So swapping to wetgloves means you need to swap the zippies.

Has anyone used the Viking/s system with zip system? I was always planning to get cheaper gloves and DC system for backup a'la Mot2vation DIY but has anyone experience of Viking with zips?

Me. As I said, I used a Viking system (old style) for a while, but it was too bulky and heavy to my taste. I don't detach the zipseal very often. I has moved to OS system, it works great and costs very reasonable. I only get the gloves from a local hardware store. It is only $3~$4 and just throw away whenever it is worn out (actually I am recycling it as a car wash glove). I dive almost every weekend, but only need two pairs of gloves for one season mostly. The bottom temp around here is 42 degree all year round.

TSandM, last question, and you have me sold. :wink:

Do you usually put your gloves on yourself, or is it tricky enough that having a buddy to help is highly desirable? What about taking them off once you get out?

I'm big on self-sufficiency... moreso since I finally got a self-donning DS. :D

Canadian.Diver:
The hardest thing I found with all the dry gloves out there is the price! I paid $170cdn for mine (Si tech)and can't possible see how it would cost more than $10 in materials.
I've got a pair that have never been wet and I will sell them for $100. Gloves, liners and rings...Si Tech size large. :D

Canadian.Diver:
The hardest thing I found with all the dry gloves out there is the price! I paid $170cdn for mine (Si tech)and can't possible see how it would cost more than $10 in materials. For the luck I have had hit and miss, I wish I would have tried to make a pair first. The exact same gloves can be bought a any hardware store for less than $6 in the cleaning section. And a little playing around with PVC pipe would be a heck of alot cheaper and give the same results. There is a desciption in the DIY section here on how to make a set. TRY IT FIRST and save big time. As it was I spent over an hour having to make the ones I bought work. Glued the glove with aqua seal to the outer ring as it kept comimg off when I put my hand through , and had to cut back the new liners because they were as long as the outer glove and got in the way when attaching to the wrist. Biggest ripoff in gear out there. Oh and it usaully takes another person to put them on so they seal correctly, they are not very self donning friendly. I hope this helps.

Brand-new SI TECH dryglove systems show up on eBay quite often for half of what you paid, including S&H.

That's where I bought my set for less than $80 (USD).

I feel Sig Insulan of SI TECH deserves whatever price the market is willing to pay. He created a great system, in my humble opinion.

I certainly like the fact that the SI TECH system can use those easily obtained inexpensive Atlas (Showa) gloves.

If you're having trouble with yours, there are tips on the Board on how to use them, if you do a search.

Dave C

CompuDude:
TSandM, last question, and you have me sold. :wink:

Do you usually put your gloves on yourself, or is it tricky enough that having a buddy to help is highly desirable? What about taking them off once you get out?

I'm big on self-sufficiency... moreso since I finally got a self-donning DS. :D

I want a rating on this too. Which system is the most finicky? I am all sausage finger especially when it gets any cooler.

I wonder too - having gotten used to the very flexible zips - how painfully clumsy will the hard rings be? Will one knock the gloves off every time donning...

dave4868:
Brand-new SI TECH dryglove systems show up on eBay quite often for half of what you paid, including S&H.

That's where I bought my set for less than $80 (USD).

I feel Sig Insulan of SI TECH deserves whatever price the market is willing to pay. He created a great system, in my humble opinion.

I certainly like the fact that the SI TECH system can use those easily obtained inexpensive Atlas (Showa) gloves.

If you're having trouble with yours, there are tips on the Board on how to use them, if you do a search.

Dave C

Hey Dave. Yeah I did look on ebay first for awhile and the only pair I saw I got out bidded.:( Not wanting to put off going deeper in the colder temps 32-34f I bit the bullet and bought from a local dive shop. Perhaps I am too quick too condem since I have been diving with them for two months. But for the price I feel that following the directions provided should all that should be needed with out tips on how to make them work. Still this is not a terrible product , and see it as no worse than others, in fact I have less complaints than my buddy who just bought a pair diving concepts. I am a firm believer in a free market, but more would sell if they were cheaper. I agree the fact that a replacement glove is cheap is a good selling point.

Putting the gloves on is trivial to do by yourself.

One hint: Do NOT close the rings very far. Rotating them a half inch is plenty to keep the system closed, and makes getting them off much easier. If I rotate them too far, I sometimes have to use my teeth to get them off. I've never needed any help from anybody else, though.

The hard rings are mildly annoying for getting through the harness, and occasionally when you really want to flex your wrists hard for something, which I rarely do while diving. Otherwise, you don't notice them. And you can't knock the Viking rings off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom