drysuit add-ons worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that case, get the options you just mentioned with your DUI.
As I understand it, the cloverleaf was to prevent/minimize leaking at the 4-way intersection of seams in the crotch.

Confirm this with your dealer. They can probably advise you on whether it's needed or not.

I'll add that the best pockets to get, as an add-on would be the Halcyon ones. You are married to whichever ones you choose, so I would recommend those.

In order of importance to me:
1-pockets
2-Light Monkey Tinkle Valve
3-knee pads (I'm short so sometimes I end up using knees to climb if I can lift my leg high enough and still balance while geared up)

BTW, I love my new Santi. First time I've ever been able to get in & out of a drysuit so fast and without assistance.

Thanks so much everyone.
bl6394: my BC does not have crotch straps, but the drysuit itself has a crotch strap due to the telescoping torso. is that still reason to get the cloverleaf pad?

No - if you're going to use the jacket style BCD for recreational diving - and not get into a sidemount, bp/w, or scootering - you can probably skip the cloverleaf. But it you do use one of these systems - the cloverleaf will prevent the crotch strap from excessively wearing on the suit.

I added the cloverleaf a year after I purchased my CLX450; there was already noticeable wear on the suit from the crotchstrap of my bp/w after 12 months.

Bjorn

Peter_C: the Santi suits look great, but my local LDS (who I really like and want to support) is DUI dealer, and I also like the "ZipSeal" user replaceable wrist and neck seals, so I can repair seals myself or even swap dry gloves and regular seals
I would not recommend the DUI Zip gloves to anyone. Once they are mounted to the suit you are now stuck with dry gloves. This makes it hard to finish gearing up. What about when you want to hang out in your drysuit and maybe tinker with dive gear? Sure is nice to choose when you can have gloves or not.

As a side note Si-Tech also makes a system for both the neck and the wrists that can be put onto most any suit that offers changeable wrist and neck seals, with the largest benefit being replacement cost of seals as they are 1/4 the cost of DUI replacement seals.

You said you were recreationally diving.

My advice would be to skip any type of dry glove, detachable or not. If you get cold hands, instead go for 7mm mitts, fourth element and waterproof both make good ones. I have done an hour in Antarctic waters with both of these and still had warm hands.

I would go with all 3 options + P valve.

Pockets - check the price on Santi Emotion pockets. They are nicer than the Halcyons. Invest in good ones. The convenience will pay for itself many times over. The DUI ones are not very nice in comparison.

Knee pads - I thought I won't be using these. Then I dove in Catalina & the only way to get onto the stair landing platform was to swim over it and then kneel so you can stand. Also what others said about falling during shore dive entries. Also when gearing up on the floor. You need to kneel then stand.

Butt pad - sounds useful. You will be on your butt most time during your SI in between dives.

The P valve is simply the greatest invention ever, at least for those in the 50+ set.
Thigh pockets are a close second.
The D/S is a very expensive investment and should last most divers 10 years, better to get it set up right.

You said you were recreationally diving.

My advice would be to skip any type of dry glove, detachable or not. If you get cold hands, instead go for 7mm mitts, fourth element and waterproof both make good ones. I have done an hour in Antarctic waters with both of these and still had warm hands.

I must disagree. I started diving my own gear in summer in a drysuit, using extra thin tropical wet gloves in British Columbia's ~45F waters, and didnt find my hands getting uncomfortably cold above 60'. That said, I have recently switched to dry gloves (Marigold heavy duty rubber gloves stretched over cuff rings) and they are so comfortable that I'll never go back, at least until next summer. I have the si tech quick glove system but it keeps flooding on me, so I will probably stick with the marigolds, which seem just as good or better.

Back
Top Bottom