Drysuit Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my lds called to let me know my drysuit is back. They sent it back to the manufacturer and they repaired the leak at the end of the zipper...so the zipper was not replaced. Oh....and no charge. Yeah...you heard right, NO charge. Not for shipping or repair. Can't argue with that...but this time...I really should dive it soon and see how dry I stay.

Well...tried the drysuit on Saturday for the first time since getting it back. Leaked like a sieve! :shakehead: Much worse than before. I thought the zipper was fully closed and my seals were okay...but maybe not. Yesterday, I tried turning it inside-out and filled with water. No leaks! Pushed on the zipper close end where it leaked before with this test...nothing. The dive lasted 27 minutes...about half way through, I knew it was leaking, but I was so soaked by the finish, that there was no way to tell where the leak originated. So...I have the suit and will do a short dive next Saturday...after taking great care with all my seals and zipper...and see if I can produce the leak and get out before it goes full flood.

What is the possibility that the exhaust valve is leaking? Maybe it doesn't fully close...Anyway, a short dive to maybe 10-15 ft for a few minutes...use the exhaust valve and back to shore should tell the tale.

Everyone knows that it is the air in the suit that keeps you warm. BUT some divers add to much air in the suit thinking that they will be warmer. This is a bad idea because the extra air forms bubbles at high points in the suit. It does not increase the thickness of the insulating layer anywhere else, so it's like folding a jersey and tying it to your back instead of wearing it the normal way. This “extra” air creates all sorts of issue with trim and buoyancy. There should only be enough air in your suit to elevate squeeze, nothing more.

One really good way to diagnose leaks is to put the suit on over clothing that will clearly show wet spots (I use surgical scrubs for this, but light colored cotton anything will work). Get in a pool or hot tub for no more than a couple of minutes (or until you feel the water somewhere). Get out and carefully remove the suit, and inspect your clothing for wet spots. This will give you a much better idea of where the water is getting into the suit, and then you can use the inflate/soapy water, or dark room/light inside, or whatever technique you favor for pinpointing the actual problem. The one thing I have learned the hard way, is that where the water in the suit GOES is much more dependent on your position in the water than it is on where the leak is. I've had leaking neck seals present repeatedly as a wet crotch, because that's the lowest point in my suit through most of my dives.

One really good way to diagnose leaks is to put the suit on over clothing that will clearly show wet spots (I use surgical scrubs for this, but light colored cotton anything will work). Get in a pool or hot tub for no more than a couple of minutes (or until you feel the water somewhere). Get out and carefully remove the suit, and inspect your clothing for wet spots. This will give you a much better idea of where the water is getting into the suit, and then you can use the inflate/soapy water, or dark room/light inside, or whatever technique you favor for pinpointing the actual problem. The one thing I have learned the hard way, is that where the water in the suit GOES is much more dependent on your position in the water than it is on where the leak is. I've had leaking neck seals present repeatedly as a wet crotch, because that's the lowest point in my suit through most of my dives.

When I tried the drysuit in my pond before the current "fix", I got a small wet spot on my undergarments after a few minutes standing in water up to my neck. I like the idea of diving it down to 15-20 ft for a few minutes and then back out of the water for the exam. The water is warm enough that it's hard to notice clothes getting wet as it happens, but hopefully a close exam after I unzip the suit...done carefully to keep from dripping...will allow me to locate leaks. Maybe I will wear cotton underwear as a base layer to trace the leak better...colored underwear might improve the trace.

I will add that my long johns were much wetter than my top after the dive on Saturday, but as you infer, that could just mean the leak traveled down from a higher point before spreading out.

I tried the light test last night. Used a million candle power spot light. Yippee. Shown through every thread hole sewed seam in the suit...okay not all of them...but a lot. I really don't believe they are all leaking.

Agreed about the task loading opinion. Remember that all certification groups have the liability gremlin hanging out there.

Still, I add air to avoid squeeze and to stay comfy.

However you avoid trim, whatever issues, great. Just dont let them be a weak link to possible safety, ok.

So, anyone else disappointed in DUI cone seals? I have pronounced wrist tendons. Results is "grab-squirt" diving. Never had this issue with the Bare "bottle neck" seals. Not even once.

Agreed about the task loading opinion. Remember that all certification groups have the liability gremlin hanging out there.

Still, I add air to avoid squeeze and to stay comfy.

However you avoid trim, whatever issues, great. Just dont let them be a weak link to possible safety, ok.

So, anyone else disappointed in DUI cone seals? I have pronounced wrist tendons. Results is "grab-squirt" diving. Never had this issue with the Bare "bottle neck" seals. Not even once.

My DUI seals are awesome. Trying wearing the wrist seal higher up, and check the sizing.

Dove my drysuit again on Saturday just past. It did not flood this time...so I must have done something bad with a seal or the zipper on the previous dive with it. I did have a little water seep in at the inflator valve...someone forgot to hook up their hose and when they attempted to add air, after descending to 4 ft...all they got was water. :D Other than that, it was hot out, so some dampness was simple sweat. I will have to dive the suit again to really believe it's not leaking...but on a cooler day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom