Drysuit Burnout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have a suit with suspenders. it was a DUI actually. The suspenders were great because they kept the boots on the bottom of my feet and I could peel down without the sleeves dragging etc.

DUI also have a crotch strap that keeps the extra material in check that hangs between your legs. Women can have that problem too strangely enough. :-O

i have a dui cnse and a mares isotherm and i love them both, as far as the suspenders, i think it would be more useful to have a pvalve or a relief zipper. just cross the arms and the suit will stay up as long as you are not doing jumping jacks. i do wish i added the bellows pockets when i bought my suit. oh, i also have the rockboots and im happy with them too, i had to make the pocket in my sp jets bigger but the they fit great now.

hey rather, can you please tell me more about the cnse vs. the isotherm? are they even interchangeable in diving conditions with water temps in the 45-55 range? what do you use either of them for, and did you look at the tls se when you got your cnse? what swayed you towards the cnse? I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what to get.

Calvin

funkyspelunker:
hey rather, can you please tell me more about the cnse vs. the isotherm? are they even interchangeable in diving conditions with water temps in the 45-55 range? what do you use either of them for, and did you look at the tls se when you got your cnse? what swayed you towards the cnse? I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what to get.

Calvin

when i got my drysuit i went to my lds and asked about the cheapest dry suit they had, cause funding was tight and i hated my one size too small wet suit. i knew that dui was a pretty good brand so i figured even the cheapest would be nice enough for me. my biggest reason was when the weather was cold, i didnt like rushing to get dry and warm after peeling off the wet suit and then putting a wet wetsuit back on for another dive was enough to call it a day. so the dry suit was cheap, and it keeps me dry, after all your head and face still feels the cold water till it goes numb. i dove to 38 in the cnse and wet hood, and wet gloves, as long as you keep moving its not that bad. now i just purchased the isotherm this season and have only had it to about 48-52 degrees and it was a little chilly but tolerable especially when the safety hang is in warmer water. i like the isotherm in warmer surface temps because it can get uncomfortable getting geared up in the hot sun while wearing a drysuit.
another nice thing about the isotherm is that it is not as important to have a perfect fit soyou have room to grow or loose weight. the one down side is that it is not self donning. and since i always dive with a buddy that really isnt a problem for me. i hope i didnt write too much and that at least some of it is helpful.

thanks for the advice, so do you still have the same dislike for peeling the isotherm on and off between dives? Also, would you say 48-52 is the colder limit for using the isotherm? I think based on what you're saying, I'm going to get the DUI since our winters can be pretty nasty here in Seattle during surface intervals.

Price being a big part of the equation, is there a reason you're hung up on shell suits? Neoprene suits tend to be more affordable to begin with. Add in another considerable savings by not generally requiring extra undergarments. Neoprene will be warmer during a surface interval but they can be peeled off halfway like anything else. Send a PM to Bob3. He sells both Poseidon and Viking. Viking now also makes some recreational level (cheaper) trilam suits.

funkyspelunker:
thanks for the advice, so do you still have the same dislike for peeling the isotherm on and off between dives? Also, would you say 48-52 is the colder limit for using the isotherm? I think based on what you're saying, I'm going to get the DUI since our winters can be pretty nasty here in Seattle during surface intervals.

generally, i decide which suit to wear based on surface temp/conditions and the dive plan. i think that going a little colder would still be comfortable. how much winter diving do you plan on doing? remember, this is what works for me here in maryland, pa, and va. im not familiar with the conditions there in seattlle and your cold comfort level.

i just checked my dive log and saw a few 45's and a 43 degree dive and i dont recall the being uncomfortably cold so i would say its good to 43 degrees unless you really, really, really dont like cold water. if thats the case then the problem would be your head and hands.

idratherbediving:
i just checked my dive log and saw a few 45's and a 43 degree dive and i dont recall the being uncomfortably cold so i would say its good to 43 degrees unless you really, really, really dont like cold water. if thats the case then the problem would be your head and hands.

that was in the isotherm you were wearing?! I have a low tolerance to cold, but the coldest it gets here is 48, although the surface interval can be miserable.

funkyspelunker:
that was in the isotherm you were wearing?! I have a low tolerance to cold, but the coldest it gets here is 48, although the surface interval can be miserable.

Heres my .02

The isotherm is the first suit i bought. i have been diving with Jason, idratherbediving, since i got cert'd and he gets cold easy, and he cries like a little kid about it all the time anyway back to the isotherm. The nice thing about it is that it isn't tight and doesn't restrict movement. if you are worried about the SI being cold you can unzip the thing and pull on a hooded sweatshirt and be nice and comfy. the cool thing that makes the suit so warm is the lack of water circulation, once it's in it's in, we joke cause it feels like warm bath water when we drain our legs after a dive. i have only been cold maybe once and that was during a deep class while waiting for the rest of the class and not doing anything. Alot of peeps from our LDS dives the isotherm to extend there summer diving seasons they don't break out there drysuits until usually nov, dec.

Peace hope it helps,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom