Drysuit fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been fighting to find fins for use with my new whites fusion and the altera boots. First I took online advice and got Xl jets from scubapro... to small. Then Leisure pro sent me XXL Jets but I refused them because I ordered XXL turtle fins which are also to small. I have size 10.5 ft so it seems unbelievable that XXL fins wont fit. I can cram my foot in but I know it would be uncomfortable and difficult to remove.

The weirdest part is I own a pair of Large Twin Jet fins that have larger pockets than either of the Jet style fins I have tried thus far.

I dont have anyway to try fins on and its getting awful expensive shipping fins back and forth.

Maybe I should have stuck with the XXL Jets but I was told they are huge by nearly everyone I spoke with so I didn't even bother opening the package.

What do I do. I need fins for my adv/deco class in 2 days.

I dive a fusion with the EVO boots, and I am a size 11 foot. I use XXL OMS Slipstreams and they are the perfect fit for those boots.

Tusa sf-5xt fit very nice with size 9 alteras (my wife's). The pocket seems much more forgiving that some of the others I've seen and may work with 10.5s. I've never dove them but she really likes them and their stiffness for frog kicking. Also, they're nice looking fins. (I've got fin envy). Down side is the $269 msrp. You should be able to get a chunk off that if you've got a good relationship with someone who sells them. Also, they come with spring straps.

ForceFins with the XXL foot pocket will fit them very well. I do it with a 13 , and I am good friends with 2 other that do the same in sizes 10 and 12, we all wear the same style of boot, 1 of them is the Altera, one Evo3, one Pinnacle (almost identical to Evo3). The ForceFin Pro will keep up with or beat the Atomic Smoke on the Water and the Apollos w/ a lower kick frequency, which puts them well ahead of the Jets and Turtles. Both LiesurePro and Scuba.com sell them and they are authorized retailers.

Although you don't actually need straps with FF, I recommend getting them with the bungies they much are easier to get on and off in the DS.

I go with Meesier42.
I have dry gloves and I am not the most flexible as well.
Having the bungees on my Force Fins make it real easy to put them on and take off.

would the XL jets have fit your feet without the altera boots (with just the fusion sock + your undergarment socks on)? would it have been tight, or with a bit of room? if you answered: 'with a bit of room,' then ditch the altera boots. try chuck taylor hi-tops, cheap knock-offs, or similar shoes instead - something cheap that adds as little girth to your feet as possible.

as a rule of thumb, buy one size bigger than your normal size, give or take, so 11.5 +/- 0.5 depending on how thick your undergarment socks are, remove any excess padding, and shave some of the rubber off the sides, if necessary. they should fit in XL jets, though I've heard theories about variance in jet pocket sizing, etc... so ymmv.

[fwiw, i ordered a few pairs of used (but decent looking) chucks off ebay. one pair in size 12 was good in width, but too long, so I decided to cut a bit of the front off too. now they look pretty messed up, but people cannot really tell when i have them on over my drysuit sock booties because both are black, and therefore blend together... i'm told wal-mart or one of the similar stores (not sure now), sells the chuck taylor hi-top knock-offs very cheaply, and if you find a place like that, then you could try them on too...]

Last edited:
Heres the really odd part. I checked out a buddy's fins that he got maybe 3 months ago and they are turtles too but his foot pocket is perfect. both size XXL yet with different shape pockets and the old style I like.

I was planning on goin with slipstreams but I wanted something with a bit of weight for drysuit anyway.

I would trade someone even up for a pair of older turtle fins for new ones if the older ones are in good shape.

I have to use XXL SP jet fins for my Evo boots as well.

The ForceFin Pro will keep up with or beat the Atomic Smoke on the Water and the Apollos w/ a lower kick frequency, which puts them well ahead of the Jets and Turtles.

There you go. For all your drysuit racing needs...

I would go see Gary and his staff at Tri-State Diving Tri-State Diving
and check out a pair of XXL Force Fins. I say this because they should be in your area? You should be able to walk in and try the fins on with your suit and see if they fit.
Tri-State Diving
You could also get a comfort instep and be able to use the same fins when wearing a wetsuit boot. Good luck and hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom