Drysuit for a 14 year old - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The young man does not like the fusion suit. He's been renting one and wants something different. A semi custom suit with a telescoping torso will allow some room to grow.

Oops......skipped right over the no fusion part......need more coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pinnacle Freedom 3 is being discontinued. They are no longer making suits and limited to what is on hand, which means it's off the table (FYI).

I'm lanky and am in the process of ordering a USIA Aqua Deluxe. We'll see how it does. I am the tall skinny variety.

I hate the internet. It's like talking to a Canadian :)D). People separated by a common language.

Here are the details:

He is 5'11", Inseam 32, chest 37.
He has been wearing a Whites Fusion size L/XL
Whites undergarments.
Wool or polartec socks.
tried the rock boots but kind of a pain in the arse especially donning fins in water for shore dives
Now he has a pair of Neoprene boots, size 13.

Soooo. Yep he has everything that SHOULD be right and he has been taught to don the suit. Pants down, wiggle in, pull them up, etc.

I like the concept behind the Fusion but if he doesn't enjoy the suit then less diving and less diving is not a good thing

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but the Fusion should fit fine. I'm 5'11, 170lbs, 38 chest, 32 seam so almost exactly the same as your son and my L/XL Fusion Sport fits comfortably. I also wear way thicker thermals as well. Yes getting the feet in and out is a pain in the Whites, but you won't find much improvement elsewhere. You'll find yourself feeling a tad restricted in terms of movement...but you won't find much improvement elsewhere, most dry suits are restricting in that sense.

I find Whites to be actually very slimming in terms of the waist section. My friend wears Waterproof D1 and it is soooo baggy on him.

In terms of other suggestions I like the Waterproof D1s and D3s, pricey though, some good used ones pop up though.

Sounds to me (after reading all the posts ) THAT IT MAY BE THAT HE DON'T LIKE THE FEEL OF HOW DRY SUITS FEEL AS APPOSED TO HOW A WET SUIT FEELS .I feel restricted on dry land in dry suit till I get in to the water then thing loosen up .So I thinks it's the feel of dry suits ,he may tell you the same thing after you have tried a couple other brand and styles. .I would try renting a couple deferant brand /style suits to see before spending all that money/

I appreciate the suggestions.

I have a Bare, NexGen, front entry with teloscoping torso. I really like this suit. I can get in and be ready to dive in half the time as others. Underwater I forget I have it on. I think that when I told my son this and he sees me ready to go while we are still getting his boots on, he believes/knows there is something better out there. (opinion, not fact).

Living in Seattle we have plenty of shops to choose from, maybe we'll try to find some others and give those a go before I pull the trigger. I just hate throwing money at rentals when I know less than a years worth of renting suits would have payed for a new or used suit.

Better to get it right though.

CCR Josh on the board has a Bare SB Med Tall for sale, check the spec's, that might work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope it works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A question for the OP. Do you know what skin the rental fusion has on it? The Bullet skin is way more restrictive than the Tech or the Sport skin. I started out with the Bullet and when I switched to the Tech skin it felt like a totally different suit. I also agree with Krawlings post, It may very well be a drysuit thing and not just a fusion thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom