Drysuit for Tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True... I mix and match all the time (and a lot of divers do)... if I'm cave-diving in Mx I'll take my flx anytime... but North Sea wrecks... might get some cf200 (crushed neoprene) time :)

I know Oh Three for only making back entry suits... have they changed that? The only reason I would not go for such a suit is not a front entry setup -> telescopic torso... I have dived back entry drysuits and without the additional reach of the telescopic material the length of the suit limits shoulder motion (talking reaching valves). Do you order the suit a bit taller so you have this added range of motion?

I'am not stating a neoprene suit is not suitable for tech diving. Some tech agencies advise against them. It all depends on what the OP is pkanning for the future.

What agencies AJ... because GUE is not one of them.

Ha, you got me there :wink: True, GUE won't advise anything other than a suitable protection. My rec instructors (non GUE), who are technical divers also, advised me to go for tri-lam.

Look at artic :) I've seen some GUE cavedivers diving it and they were quite happy (with about 100 dives done on the suit). It's basically a made to measure DUI TLS350 clone, and looked nice. Is in your ballpark budget (1000 - 1200 € ).

The brand is Spanish and their website is in Spanish only but they have a facebook page and a couple of dutch dealers so you should be able to find it.

Looks like for what I'm looking for, thanks

AJ:
Ha, you got me there :wink: True, GUE won't advise anything other than a suitable protection. My rec instructors (non GUE), who are technical divers also, advised me to go for tri-lam.

Not trying to be a bitch here but when you advise against neoprene is that based on personal experience or something you've been told by "rec instructors (non-GUE), who are technical divers?"

BEESTER: I have a front-entry OThree... Sean (owner founder) much prefers to sell back entry but the company does make a self-donning suit. With regards range of motion, the back entry OThree suit I own has stretch panels under arms... no binding at all. The downside of a telescopic of course is the additional material. As someone who dives both you probably appreciate that no suit is perfect... they are all a compromise... just like rebreathers. For example, I own a SANTI but it is relegated to sub-tropical work... and while there are things I like about trilam (weight for example) the extra drag it generates is perceptible when cave diving against harsh flow.

Not trying to be a bitch here but when you advise against neoprene is that based on personal experience or something you've been told by "rec instructors (non-GUE), who are technical divers?"

BEESTER: I have a front-entry OThree... Sean (owner founder) much prefers to sell back entry but the company does make a self-donning suit. With regards range of motion, the back entry OThree suit I own has stretch panels under arms... no binding at all. The downside of a telescopic of course is the additional material. As someone who dives both you probably appreciate that no suit is perfect... they are all a compromise... just like rebreathers. For example, I own a SANTI but it is relegated to sub-tropical work... and while there are things I like about trilam (weight for example) the extra drag it generates is perceptible when cave diving against harsh flow.

That is one thing I don't like the weight and cucumbersome for packing a Neoprene suit for travel, doning seems to me harder with a neoprene that with a Trilam.

If you travel a lot then a trilam might be a better option... but you will be packing more undies... not sure about donning... but then I haven't seen the neoprene you're using. In any event, good luck.

Sometimes it's better to spend a little more the first time around then to settle and have to sell, then re-buy later. I'm a big fan of the Trilam suits especially since i dive dry everywhere and travel a lot. Front zip gives you better range of motion. I have found that the ScubaPro as well as some other manufacturers drysuits do not work as well for divers as the exhaust valve has poor placement. Take a close look at this if you can. Valve wants to be on side of bicep and not the top. Wrong placement effects control in the water. Some manufacturers like DUI & SANTI (there are a couple of others as well, now that companies are learning) do have the proper placement. I understand they cost more, if on a budget, fit in standard size, along with proper boot size that comes on the suit, then the new OMS suit is at a great price-point. Make sure you have full range of motion when you decide on the suit, if you don't, that will have an effect on performance as well.

Having taken a 7mm neoprene drysuit to about 30m, I can tell you I will advise against those neoprene drysuits anyday. They're heavy, stiff, take ages to dry, compress with depth... Basically they're ****. And yes they're still being sold.

If you're talking about a 1 or 2mm drysuit (cf200, sf-tech, ...), then yeah, fair enough, they don't have that main issue of compression (edit: Probably don't have the other issues I mentionned as well). On a 4mm suit, I'm not sure so I wouldn't say they can't be used.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom