drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting suit... I look forward to hearing the review as well, once you get the product!

barrmust:
i am getting ready to order a drysuit and was wondering about options. i have picked out the options that i think i want but having never used a drysuit i am looking for advice from people that have. i am located in maryland and will be using it for wreck, quarry, beach diving. here is what i am planning on ordering:

trilam cordura material
front zip
zippered cover for the front zip
latex seals - hd latex wrist seals
warm neck
relief zip
suspenders
bellows pockets on both legs on the side
changing mat/carrying bag

the things i cant decide on are:
rubber or neoprene boots
hd knee pads - the suit comes with polyurethane knee pads already
i can also option a flat pocket instead of the bellows pockets or have one put on the front of the thigh also

Russ
I would not get the relief zipper... You will eventually find yourself making the choice of either a diaper or a pee-valve. If you choose the diaper you will need better access than the relief zipper will grant, and if you choose the valve then the extra zipper will be unnecessary.

For boots you will want a boot that fits as close to your foot as possible, of course you will be wearing some sort of thermal protection sock so you need to allow room for that, but often rigid boots leave too much room to trap air.

Knee pads are a good idea since you will find yourself on your knees from time to time. Of course in the water you should stay off the bottom, but some boats have you climb on to a swim step and wait on your knees while they remove your fins. At times you might also get on your knees to help get the air out of your suit prior to a dive, or to check for sufficient flexibility. Some sort of knee pads are a good idea.

Bellows pockets on the outer thighs should be all you need. Save your money and don't get an extra pocket on the front of your thigh.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

thanks everyone for your advice. i have talked so several people in the UK that have had their suit for about a year and they have been very happy with the suits so far. so to sum it up it looks like:

"only" two bellows pockets on the outer thighs
standard latex seals not hd ones
neoprene boots since they are less likely to trap air
a p valve instead of a relief zip

two questions,

what about a p valve and a relief zip? for longer planned dives i could use the valve and for shorter quarry dives i could just wait and use the zip.

i do a combo of shore and boat diving. so a harder rubber boot sole would be nice. but i guess the neoprene boots would be less likely to cause bouyance issues. any opinions?

Russ

Hey Barrmust,
You may want to consider the exposed zipper on this suit as it may be potential for failure and is a costly replacement, most dry suits have a protection flap with a zipper closure to keep your primary zipper in good shape... just a thought...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom