Drysuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HLrescue.jpg
This is what you need!
Ursuit Heavy Light Rescue FZ

edit also in black and back zipper..

stevead:
The telescoping torso on a DUI means that a 7 footer could probably get into a large if he was skinny enough. might not be a perfect fit but he could wear it.
True, if he is all torso but it would be awfully hard to get over the head.

When renting a TLS350 XL I fit fine at 6'6'' but at 180lbs it was way to big for my mid section. This is why I have a SP CLX450

Okidoki everyone,

First off, thanks everybody for their opinion - I have taken all of them in account and here's what I am thinking at the moment:

- Otter Skin (a little less than half the price of DUI TLS 350, I tried one out and it felt flexible enough so can't really justify the extra cost, weight is not prohibitively more and the material seems a lot stronger than the DUI, drying times between an Otter and a Protec seemed roughly equal after a pool dip)
- Made to Measure at no extra cost (due to funny physique always going to be better fitting than of-the-peg, so extra points for the Otter over the DUI - telescopic or not)
- Latex cuff seals (might consider dry-gloves in the future, but start off on 3-finger mitts - at least leave the option open)
- Neoprene neck seal (comfort and warmth - my LDS promised to exchange it for a latex one if it starts leaking regularly - after wiggling my neck through a seal or ten I definitely feel it is worth the risk - at least for the type of diving I am doing now so I can test it thoroughly and get used to it)
- P-valve (immersion diuresis is an "issue" for me, so would at least like to have the opportunity once I get in to longer dives. Also, I prefer to have a valve installed by the manufacturer, so at least I can blame someone else if it fails :crafty: )
- Bellow pockets on the sides with a knife pocket on top (easier to get in to a RIB and no crawling through narrow cave passages for me, open failing)
- Apeks low profile valves (apparently the problems with Apeks were due to the sealant around the valves and this has reportedly been solved - In any case I know were the guy lives who told me that :devil_3:)
- Front entry zip (less stiffnes around the shoulder and I 'll have to get used to a shoudler or FE zip any way)

If you think I am missing something or could provide a better alternative, please do let me know ...

P

sounds good

Peter Deveugle:
- Bellow pockets on the sides with a knife pocket on top (easier to get in to a RIB and no crawling through narrow cave passages for me, open failing)

Zipper or velcro? D-ring or bungee side loops?

- Apeks low profile valves (apparently the problems with Apeks were due to the sealant around the valves and this has reportedly been solved - In any case I know were the guy lives who told me that :devil_3:)

Shoulder or cuff dump?

Just asking. I have no strong opinion on what is better.

i assumed velcro and shoulder

(my bad)

Otters are good suits - hope you enjoy your new suit :)!

I would advise you put some bungee loop in the pockets if they don't have any. That way all you need to do is attach a stainless steel boltsnap/double ender to whatever you want to carry and then clip/unclip the item from the bungee.

You won't go wrong with a well-fitting Otter suit.

For the undersuit, as you need to be flexible, you could look at getting a Xerotherm and a Xerotherm Arctic, as then you can mix and match as you see fit. I have worn both complete sets on a couple of occasions under a trimlaminate suit and I nearly cooked I was so warm! Likewise, just the Xerotherm on its own was enough in the Red Sea in winter, and the Arctic on its own was enough for UK summer.

I also have a Weezle and I love it for UK diving, but it might be too warm for some of the places you are looking at, and it hasn't perhaps got the flexibility you'd get with the two Xerotherms.

Just a suggestion...

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom