Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put a purge valve in your Viking hood.

I used to use mask nose vent purge valves for this, but DRIS sells purge valves specifically for latex hoods (I've bought several ).

Oh, and glue it in. I didn't at first & that's one of the reasons I've bought several. :D

Put a purge valve in your Viking hood.

I used to use mask nose vent purge valves for this, but DRIS sells purge valves specifically for latex hoods (I've bought several ).

Oh, and glue it in. I didn't at first & that's one of the reasons I've bought several. :D
Thank you 3D Diver.

Hi, I have a Pinnacle Freedom 2 drysuit with attached neoprene socks. The socks have some tread on the bottom, I assume to prevent slipping while walking. I also have a pair of Tusa wet boots to wear over the drysuit socks. It's a challenge to get the boots on over the socks, but the boots fit well when I get them on. My only problem is that tread on the bottom of the socks causes them to severely bunch in the boot, which scrunches my toes, which in turn causes my feet to cramp while finning. Is there a way I can use these boots with the drysuit that will make it easier to slide the boots on and will not cause the socks to bunch up in the boot? Or should I consider a different type of boot/shoe?

Thanks.

Is there a way I can use these boots with the drysuit that will make it easier to slide the boots on?

Thanks.

Have you tried squirting some suit lube or similar into your boot before you put your foot in? I use a mix of baby shampoo and water for suit lube (for donning a wet suit). It also works great as mask anti-fog. I wonder if some of that in your boot wouldn't let it slide on easily over your sock tread.

Have you tried squirting some suit lube or similar into your boot before you put your foot in? I use a mix of baby shampoo and water for suit lube (for donning a wet suit). It also works great as mask anti-fog. I wonder if some of that in your boot wouldn't let it slide on easily over your sock tread.
I have not, but I will give it a try.

Thanks.

I think the shampoo will work for you as well. I use baby shampoo for mask defogging. Works great. Make sure its tear free otherwise, it will turn out to be an interesting dive.

You may be well served to get some actual drysuit boots to use with those socks. With manipulating it into a wetsuit boot you stand the risk of prematurely tearing the sock(or even worse, tearing it and not knowing and potentially flooding the suit). The "tread" on the bottom of the sock actually serves two purposes; first, so you don't do the "mashed potato"(think dance from the 50's) when donning the suit and secondly, creating a grip surface so your feet don't slide inside a drysuit boot.

If you need any further assistance or clarification I'm on the live chat on our site during the evenings Sunday-Thursday.

OK, I'll bite: What makes a drysuit boot different from a hard-sole wetsuit boot? (I'm not talking about dry boots that are sealed onto the dry suit.)

I want to use the santi drysuit connector on my apeks low profile swivel inflation valve. Will this work and I can't find any instructions on how to install it. I have contacted both manufacturers and apeks said it they were contacted before by a consumer saying it didn't work for him. I haven't heard back from santi yet.

OK, I'll bite: What makes a drysuit boot different from a hard-sole wetsuit boot? (I'm not talking about dry boots that are sealed onto the dry suit.)

First, most hard soled wetsuit boots are neoprene and designed to provide insulation value. Most drysuit boots are just a "boot" whereas the "sock" attached to the drysuit provides the insulation.

Secondly, most hard soled wetsuit boots have a single zipper and are designed for bare feet to go into. Drysuit boots often have laces or velcro which makes donning over a sock a bit easier.

With that in mind, sliding a drysuit sock with a "grippy" sole into a neoprene wetsuit boot will often cause binding and stretching issues to the sock. The potential is there for damage and premature wear to the sock. In contrast, drysuit boots are designed for the sock to go into them so hence the laces or velcro(like normal boots you would wear on land). This is why some old school divers opt for "Chucks" as drysuit boots, or even on a few occasions "coral booties" worn by Seal/UDT guys back in the day(Vietnam).

Back
Top Bottom