Drysuit vs Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found that after I went from wet to dry I had to get larger fins to accommodate rockboots. I also went with a stiffer one due to a lot little extra drag.

Not ALL drysuits follow the path you mention. My Fusion does not use rock boots so I use the same size fins, it also does not cause any increased drag that I am aware of as it fits like a wetsuit.

I don't disagree, I'm not sure about the variety in fit through different manufacturers . I went from a twin jet fin which I trained in really like and still use. Unfortunately my boots won't fit into them. I didn't think of this beforehand when shopping for drysuits and rock boots. I admit this might not apply in all cases.

While I realize you have to work at getting used to it, I did not like the few experiences I had trying out a drysuit.
If you certify OW dry - like most people around here do - or start diving dry early in your diving career, that isn't an issue at all. The drysuit blues only apply if you've dived wet a lot.

I'm going to disagree with most people and suggest you go with a wetsuit. I firmly am a drysuit diver year round now (except when i go on vacation). But i remember being where you were a several years ago when I first started. I was super gung ho and into it...but I got bored quickly in the area I lived and diving stopped becoming exciting for me (i've moved since then and am back into it). I suggest you stay with the cheaper option - especially just out of school - until you have knocked back a decent number of dives in your area and decide its something you want to continue. It looks like you'll be in the great lakes region and those will be accessible to you - so I bet you'll stick with it - but I really think you should be conservative while you are beginning - especially while you are sorting out student loans, new career, and other life changes - those things have a tendency to change priorities in ways you didn't think.

Just like you, I'm really skinny, so cold water and me do not mix. I was just down on the Florida Gulf coast not enjoying the 68º water, even with a ton of neoprene on my body. I've also gone back and forth as far as buying a dry suit or not. For now, I guess I'd just rather spend that money on a trip to the beautiful, blue, warm Caribbean, where a 3 mil suit is enough.

I'm going to disagree with most people and suggest you go with a wetsuit. I firmly am a drysuit diver year round now (except when i go on vacation). But i remember being where you were a several years ago when I first started. I was super gung ho and into it...but I got bored quickly in the area I lived and diving stopped becoming exciting for me (i've moved since then and am back into it). I suggest you stay with the cheaper option - especially just out of school - until you have knocked back a decent number of dives in your area and decide its something you want to continue. It looks like you'll be in the great lakes region and those will be accessible to you - so I bet you'll stick with it - but I really think you should be conservative while you are beginning - especially while you are sorting out student loans, new career, and other life changes - those things have a tendency to change priorities in ways you didn't think.
To me this seems like very sound advice, Are there drysuit advantages here in the upper Midwest? Absolutely there are. But for a new diver buying gear building skills and having fun, I did and would again start with a good 7mm. A drysuit is really nice but it's not going to put you in that much of a better position then a 7mm wet. When taking budget and other priorities into account.

Well, I'm going to try the wetsuit first. A member PM'd me and is sending me a wetsuit custom fit for him years back that no longer fits him. From the measurements, it looks like it has a good chance of fitting me well.

@king_of_battle, I was just thinking of that myself. If I do end up taking the job and moving it's going to be a whirlwind of activity and who knows how long it'll take to sell my current house. Until I do, I'll have to keep paying, plus it would be good to let the dust settle after all that (selling a house, renting a place to stay, moving from part to full time, wife switching jobs, etc).

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Once the dust settles later this year, and we get the rest of the basic gear and I go diving again, I'll remember this thread.

If you certify OW dry - like most people around here do - or start diving dry early in your diving career, that isn't an issue at all. The drysuit blues only apply if you've dived wet a lot.

Bingo. I've never dived wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom