Drysuit wrist seal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I currently have a Santi with latex seals and the Sitech ring system, and I use talc on them so that my hands slide through easily when putting it on. Without it, it is a PITA. I don't like the talc, frankly, in large part because I am apparently too clumsy to use it effectively. I create a bit of a mess all too often. My big container of talc is nearly empty, and it is time for me to make a decision.

My first drysuit was a White's Fusion, and they insisted that the thing to use on wrist seals was Seal Saver. That does not exist any more as far as I know.

The other day I saw someone spray diluted baby shampoo into the seals before putting them on.

I have have heard of other people using KY Jelly.

What do you folks use with latex wrist seals?

if I'm dry and the seals are dry *i.e. first dive of the day*, then I don't use anything and they slip in with no issues. Rest of the day, a little bit of KY. rubbed on the outside of the first inch of the seal for removal, and the first couple inches of the inside for donning if my hands are wet for whatever reason.

Maybe a stupid beginner question, but why don't you use silicone seals if you have the ring system?

A small spray bottle with 50/50 hair conditioner and water. A small amount is all you need. I also spray some on the back of my hand before removing the suit.

Glad John asked this question as I came across some association between Talc and Cancer recently and have looked for alternatives. Some talc has asbestos in it ( I did not know this until I read it) but not all. I was using baby powder on my seals as my skin is precious.:)

Cornstarch is a safe alternative to talc but I prefer the diluted hair conditioner. I use cornstarch in my Fusion which is a little tight around the calves. I put it in a couple of layers of socks and ties the end. Makes a good applicator without making too much of a mess, just make sure that there are no holes in the socks and keep it in a ziplock bag.

I use talc too, but it's in a little pouch like a baseball pitcher's resin bag.
That way it dispenses just a thin dusting of talc as I wipe it on the inside of the seal. I've not gone through even a single container of talc with this method, and it's very dust free.
As far as I'm concerned, if as a diver you're worried about talc on your wrists and cancer, but diving doesn't worry you, then your priorities are interesting, to say the least.

I use cornstarch in my Fusion which is a little tight around the calves.
My original fusion had that problem, and the solution that was suggested to me worked really well--spraying it occasionly with a marine lubricant called Sailkote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom