Drysuit Zipper Lube whats the best to use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Whites Fusion came with a stick of McNett Max Wax: Max Wax? Stick Lubricant for Zippers

It is apparently silicone based and contains no bees wax :)

Whites instructions I use it sparingly on both inside and outside teeth.

Henrik

Depends on what type of silicone it is.
Ive asked DUI and they said that the McNett silicone spray I'm using is OK .. you can use food grade silicone as it's 100% soluble in water .. Look at the products MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) to see if it is
(BTW they had no trouble replacing my suits zipper, was not due to anything I did to it, was a rental suit and when I got it, I could NOT move the zipper at all .. which points to the importance of taking care of it so you wont have to replace it)

If it degrades in water why bother using it? The outside lube will be off when you surface and quite possible the inside from sweat.

If it degrades in water why bother using it? The outside lube will be off when you surface and quite possible the inside from sweat.

You want a lube that degrades in water ... otherwise it builds up on the zipper and attracts dirt and grit that will get into your zipper and wear it out prematurely.

Believe me ... you DO NOT WANT to wear your zipper out any faster than necessary ... it's the most expensive part of your suit to replace.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's still there, you have to wash it off .. I also like it because my wrist seals look and feel much better now after using it (they were old , dry, and cracked where they fold under for storing )
It's like using KY for your neck instead of talc, KY is water soluble but it stays for the dive

BTW, I still have those wrist seals, have not had to replace them yet .. its an old rental or school dry suit, it had size and number written on shoulder

Back
Top Bottom