DSMB Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think mine is 26”, and I have a Dive Alert on the end. I clip it to the left waist D- ring if I use it, where the SPG used to go.

Looking around, there are several length hoses with a quick connect available. This one, from Piranha, seems good because it could easily be folded back and tucked up out of the way where my inflator is due to its flexibility. I like the idea of using a longer hose. Thoughts on 22" length?
I think 22" as a dedicated DSMB hose is way too short-it is no longer than a BCD LPI hose. A regular rubber 36" (dry suit length) hose stows really well behind the left shoulder and underneath the waist strap (assuming you're not already using it on the dry suit) of a BP-between the plate and the SPG. Out of the way and out of mind until it's needed, but allows for the DSMB and spool to be held out in front of you at arms length where you can see what you're doing (all the while maintaining proper trim) and there is no chance of the line getting caught on the BCD inflator, stage bottles, scooter, bug bag, or other gear once you launch the DSMB.

I'm also am suspicious of ultra flexible hoses since floppies can be harder to work with one handed, but admit I've never tried using one for this purpose and I could be just a crusty luddite.

At some point, your wing will be empty and you will be unable to become more negative. I think it's best to just deploy from deeper.

This just means you are underweighted. You need to have sufficient weight on so you do not ascend if inflating your dsmb.

This just means you are underweighted. You need to have sufficient weight on so you do not ascend if inflating your dsmb.
I disagree with that premise. It may work for you, but I'll weight myself to be neutral between 15 and 10 ft (depending on wetsuit thickness) with an empty wing at minimal tank pressure. My DSMB will have long been on the surface by the time I get to that depth so my boat has time to reach me and guard against other boats trying to run a slalom course with my DSMB.

Reactions: L13
I have a large Hollis DSMB. It is self sealing with an open bottom, as well as an inflator valve. If I am deeper than SS depth, I use my exhaust gas to fill it up, holding the open bottom over my exhaust vent. If I am at SS depth, I have a LP whip on my pony; eliminates the need to undo my dry suit inflator. From depth, using my exhaust gas, I do not have to fully fill up the DSMB as the air inside will just expand on the way up. The self sealing feature of the DSMB allows it to remain fully inflated on the surface. I could use my octo to fill it up if I wanted too.

I disagree with that premise. It may work for you, but I'll weight myself to be neutral between 15 and 10 ft (depending on wetsuit thickness) with an empty wing at minimal tank pressure. My DSMB will have long been on the surface by the time I get to that depth so my boat has time to reach me and guard against other boats trying to run a slalom course with my DSMB.

Wait till you deploy from 45m depth and don't won't to be dragged up. :D

You can 100% deploy a marker from 70' or more while neutrally buoyant without changing depth more than 5'. Being properly weighted is not a drawback here and anyone giving you different advice needs practice. This is a very basic intro- to- tech- level skill.

45m?
I don't do it from 150' because my spool isn't that long, plus I'd rather do it while off gassing.

45m?
I don't do it from 150' because my spool isn't that long, plus I'd rather do it while off gassing.
Depends where you dive.

Around here (English Channel) you need to send your bag up from the wreck so the Skipper can count them and follow the field of bags downstream, one per diver. If that wreck is in 60m/200ft then so be it. Which is why we use big reels with 100m/330ft of line.

Also using CO2 cartridge or crack bottle SMBs makes life a LOT easier.

Depends where you dive.

Around here (English Channel) you need to send your bag up from the wreck so the Skipper can count them and follow the field of bags downstream, one per diver. If that wreck is in 60m/200ft then so be it. Which is why we use big reels with 100m/330ft of line.

Also using CO2 cartridge or crack bottle SMBs makes life a LOT easier.
Was waiting for somebody to bring up crack bottles. It’s a shame they aren’t used in the New World or Far East.

Back
Top Bottom