DUI Drysuit under $1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely hear you guys about E-Bay.. I'm an E-Bay fanatic and I bought my Balance and full Mares 7mm Farmer John off of E-Bay, but I was hoping to purchase a DUI suit through my friends local shop... I like to give him business.

ianr33:

To answer you question as to wondering what I meant, the dry suit allows me much more control over my body under the water. I think it's because the air (buoyancy) is fairly equal around my entire body, as apposed to being secluded to one spot on my back bladders... or around my abdomen in a standard vest.)

My instructor/friend told me that the DUI suit under $1000 has a zipper across the shoulder blades in the back... not the diagonal zipper across the front (like i'd like!)... but if the price is under $1000 then It fits my budget.

..and no, not NYC... On Saturday I dove http://www.dutchsprings.com/ and on Sunday I dove http://www.lakeminnewaska.org/. At Minnewaska the bottom temp was 46 F. and I loved it because the only thing that was cold was my lips!!! Help me choose a dry suit!!

btw, i was completing the near last dives of my Advanced Open Water Cert... Please give opinions on diving in a dry suit within such few dives (one dozen).

GetNarc'd:
To answer you question as to wondering what I meant, the dry suit allows me much more control over my body under the water. I think it's because the air (buoyancy) is fairly equal around my entire body, as apposed to being secluded to one spot on my back bladders... or around my abdomen in a standard vest.)

What you wrote is actually not true. The air that you put inside your drysuit is not distributed equally inside the suit. When using your drysuit for buoyancy, there is an air bubble that is created inside your suit. Depending on how you move your body, that air bubble moves around inside your suit. If you had enough space in the legs and feet of your suit, all the air in that bubble could move into there and you would end up with your feet first ascent. If you take a drysuit course, they teach you how to recover from this. I guess my point is that buoyancy control using a drysuit is definitely more difficult than using a BCD, and a drysuit course is definitely recommended. Diving a drysuit is not rocket science, but a course can help you master the skills a lot quicker. The simlest and best way for controlling buyoancy while using a drysuit is to just squirt a bit of air into the suit in order to offset the suit squeeze, and then use your BCD for buyoancy control. This will give you better control and will eliminate the risk of a feet first ascent.

The base price on my TLSse was $950 from Adirondack Scuba in Ballston Spa. It should be here next week...

I'll throw in a second pitch for Adirondack Scuba. I'll be getting a CLX450 for 1400ish (for the suit only....the dang undies are expensive!) They've got some great prices on the suits and accessories.

The reason the TLSse fits differently than the 350 is due to the SE not having the telescoping torso, and the cut is ever so slightly trimmer than the 350.

Along with saving some money, the trimmer fit of the SE was what made it appealing to me. I'm fairly small(5'8", 157 lb) and my experience with telescoping torsos on surface rescue suits hasn't been positive. Here's hoping I made the right decision.

Okay, so the TLSse is what he was probably talking about.

Tony, thanks for clarifying the air distribution confusion for me. I still feel much more in control with a drysuit as apposed to a BC, in terms of bouyancy and bodily control. Had I not had ankle weights on then I may have had a more difficult time keeping my feet down... although I did have to struggle a bit at times when I waited too long to get my lower body below my upper.

one of my LDS's has one on sale for $600.

Here's the URL. You'll have to call them for more details. FYI... this has been on his site for a LONG LONG time. I highly reccomend that you ask him how old it is and although new, if they seals have gotten dryrotted, etc with age.. I think he's had it for a few years.

http://www.dolphinaquatics.com/promotions.htm

On another note... tstonedvr here on SB has a Whites drysuit in very good condition for sale. It even has new seals that haven't been cut. I was going to buy it but unforutually it didn't fit me.

One option is to get a one of the factory close out suits http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/fr.pdf

You still go through your LDS to get them. It is sort of a hit or miss type situation. If there is one on that list you like, order it today... they can go very quickly. If nothing on the list matches what you are looking for you might also call DUI and see if they have one that matches your measurements that hasn't been added to the list yet.

scubapolly:
One option is to get a one of the factory close out suits http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/fr.pdf

You still go through your LDS to get them. It is sort of a hit or miss type situation. If there is one on that list you like, order it today... they can go very quickly. If nothing on the list matches what you are looking for you might also call DUI and see if they have one that matches your measurements that hasn't been added to the list yet.

I'll second that advise. That's how I "stumbled" across my TLS350 for 1800 with zipseals and a few other goodies.

Bought my wife a 50/50.

oly5050user:
you can get a DUI cnse or a tls350se under $1000. and with a speciality course at n/c.. and in NYC..will pm you tel #

Can you PM me that #? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom