DUI event - how does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning to go to the DUI event this weekend, at least if the conditions look OK.

how does the event work? Do we need to supply our own tanks? What is the chance that we wold not be able to use the DUI drysuits, should we have our own (rental) drysuit in case we don't get with the program (or for diving more than the program gives us)? How early should we get there to have a solid chance?

I did the DUI event about two years ago at Lake Rawlings in VA. It was pretty well organized and they handled a lot of people very easily in a assembly line fashion. They supply everything but regs, mask, BC and tank. You go from station to station; first they put a hose on your 1st stage for the dry suit, next station they fit your neck seal; then on down the line including thermal wear and the drysuit it self and lastly fins. For the actual dive you get into a group of about 10 and after some weight checks an instructor leads the group around an area for maybe 20 min. I did the "dive" twice. They don't let you just go off by your self. Like with any big group event, the earlier you get there the better. However, they had many, many drysuits so getting a chance to do it wasn't an issue. They also have hotdogs and hamburgers and some other things - it was good experience overall.

This was my experience, it may differ from others.

I worked at the event at Gilboa Ohio last fall, they have hundreds of suits and all the options to try. Turbo soles, Rock boots, Heavy dry gloves, TLS, TLS 350, CF200 and any other major make. Bring your own tank, hood, and wet gloves (if your don't want to use their dry gloves). They also have the undergarments. Some people do have a propensity to grab a suit in the morning and dive it all day. This makes it tough for the late arrivals and it is discouraged by the DUI group, but it is a fact. Getting in line early is the best bet.

They are very well organized, they do this all the time. The suits are all zip seals and the appropriate neck and wrist seal size will be sized and placed on the suit for you. They will also assist in donning/doffing the suit and final checks. The only thing they do with your gear is add a drysuit hose if you need it, otherwise it is all up to your for the rest of the gear.

I did the Catalina event two years ago and had a fantastic time. It is very well run - with plenty of suits to try on and test. We had a huge number of volunteers, too, that made sure everything ran smoothly.

Bring your own tank - you'll need it. I also brought along my usual gear - BCD, fins, mask, snorkel, hood (which they did have), and gloves. The only thing that was a problem was my fins as they were too small to fit over the rock boots (I use m/l Force Fins with my normal dive boots, and large with my DUI Flex 50/50). They did have weights, but as a courtesy, bring your own. They provided me with additional weight which was required for my first dive.

I completed two dives and really enjoyed myself.

Bill

Bring all your dive gears except your exposure suit. After you sign in, you will be fitted with the suit/undergarment of your choice. Then there will be DMs/instructors lead you on a dive. Dives are usually short, say 20-25 minutes at breakwater, but should be quite good to get a feel of how the drysuit dives. After you finish the dive, you can go up and switch to another suit, and dive again. Last year, participant can make as many dive as they want to.

DUI bring enough suits, so anyone should have no problem getting into one. But just keep in mind, all dives are led by DM/Instructors, so you may not be able to design where and how you want to dive.

The better question is what is vis going to be like. Last weekend it varied from 3-10ft depending on time and location. Had nothing to do with swell action as the ocean was pretty calm at BW.

If you are drysuit certified, you can sign for a suit and dive it on your own. The instructor tour is only required for divers who are not certified. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom