DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

Has anyone else had trouble with the dangerously slow release of air from the low profile "Stock" valve. last weekend, I had an out of controll emergency ascent- fortunatly, my max depth was 44 feet and total botem time was 16 minutes - I had a slow ascent from 40-20- dumping air alonge the way- but @ 20 feet...... The suit took off on me.

I love the fit, But what does it cost to replace this valve- and any suggestions on a good eco $$ dry suit - crushed neoprean is good too?

thanks,

Vin

DUI sells the high profile valve too. A bit of the right glue and a new valve and you can switch it out yourself. My buddy replaced my dump valve and his inflator valve a few months ago after talking with DUI. He ordered the valves and picked up the right type of glue at Home Depot and all is well.

The glue recommended was identical to aquarium glue. I'll find out from him later and repost.

Did the valve stop working or was it just not dumping air fast enough?

Was it open all the way or were you dumping manually?

What kind of undies do you wear?

It is most likely a combination of operator error, poor drysuit technique and valve placement.

You need to stay ahead of the gas expansion in the suit and don't have extra gas in your suit to begin with (ie don't use your suit for a BC)... especially since the exhaust valve (if in DUI's standard location) is towards the bicept instead of toward the tricept or better yet on the forearm.

Relocating the valve is the harder of the three to correct but definitely possible.

Diving your suit with minimal gas and using your BC/wing as a BC is easy.

Staying ahead of the expanding gas on ascent takes discipline and practice... and contortions if you haven't moved the valve to the correct position.

UP, that's pretty much where I was going to go with my questions.

The only other thing is that a friend of mine mentioned some possible malfunction issues with the LP valve and some type of undies that get stuck in the opening.

I just had the dump valve moved to the forearm. Was going to try it today for the first time with Ken, but our boat got cancelled after breakfast ;-0

There is clearly more to learn about diving dry, however - I have never had this problem in a White's or Dacor.... The valve was all the way open - the position was indeed tough- kind of awkward to manually depresss the valve. But it was simply too slow.

As far as undies - DUI has the standard thermo suit and then the more streamlined pile suit. I was in the cheaper version- more bulky. I am just under six feet and 175 lbs. agreeable it was a bit tight across the back- which may have something to do with range of motion.....

vin

There is potentially a contradiction lurking in some of the advice that's been given. You do not want too much air in the suit but on the other hand, not having enough air in suit can cause the problem of some types of underwear restricting air flow through some exhaust valves. If you add poor positioning of the valve to the mix, you can accumulate too much air in the suit at the same time the underwear is still being sqeezed against the outlet of the valve.

With some suit systems you will have less trouble dumping if you leave a little more air in the suit. It is counter intuitive but it is there none the less and it is a common reality exposed by good use of "systems thinking".

In my opinion some divers strive to dive with too much squeeze in the suit in the misplaced belief that if less air in the suit is better a lot less air must be a lot better. There is however definitely a point of diminishing returns both in terms of managing the air in the suit and in terms of suit warmth and comfort. A given valve design/valve location/underwear combination will require a minimum amount of free space and volume in the suit to function effectively and reliably.

Diver Lori once bubbled...
DUI sells the high profile valve too. A bit of the right glue and a new valve and you can switch it out yourself. My buddy replaced my dump valve and his inflator valve a few months ago after talking with DUI. He ordered the valves and picked up the right type of glue at Home Depot and all is well.

The glue recommended was identical to aquarium glue. I'll find out from him later and repost.

Rubberized silcone. Also called aquarium glue amongst other names.

I've not had any problems with the LP valve other than it leaking. Dumping for me has been practically effortless....mine must be in the right place. :)

I was told by someone in DUI repair that the HP valve is a much better and less problematic valve than the LP. They were referring to leaking and durability.....not malfunctioning. I am considering replacing my LP with a HP when the time comes out of warranty.

Vin once bubbled...

Has anyone else had trouble with the dangerously slow release of air from the low profile "Stock" valve. last weekend, I had an out of controll emergency ascent- fortunatly, my max depth was 44 feet and total botem time was 16 minutes - I had a slow ascent from 40-20- dumping air alonge the way- but @ 20 feet...... The suit took off on me.

I love the fit, But what does it cost to replace this valve- and any suggestions on a good eco $$ dry suit - crushed neoprean is good too?

thanks,

Vin

Two things came to mind. First is what UP already said.

The second thing was this: Does it have a neoprene flap under the zipper? I've heard some stories of people have trouble dumping if the flap is doubled back and blocks the valve. One instance I know of was (apparently) the result of an undergarment that sealed against the inside of the valve.

In any case practice. ascend along a line and go slow, feet down if you have to, until you get a feeling for it.

R..

I will work on the skow ascents. I the mean time I need to find a good solution! RE: A suit.

vin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom