DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the middle of looking at getting a new dry suit. I have been down to the LDS. Still don't know which suit to get but the following might be following up

There seem to be two different APEKS LP valves. One with three sets of holes and one with two sets of holes. The one with three sets has a slightly raised bit to enable you to close in more easily.

I have noticed the three style on other Dry Suits e.g. O'Three, and the LDS said they had one just delivered from DUI for retro fitting onto another customer suit.

Don't know if the internals are different , but the outside sure is. Maybe APEKS have brought out a modified version of their LP valve.

I have a replacement HP valve but can't get the old LP valve off. I know it is supposed to unscrew, but the %$@# thing won't unscrew. Any trick to getting it off?

Any trick to getting it off?
They make a spiffy $75 tool for that.
Otherwise be careful not to stress the top "cover" of the valve, grab it as low on the base as you can. (exterior portion of the valve)
Running it under some hot water may help too.
Be careful on the installation too, cranking hard on the cover can break the thing. Try to get the interior portion to turn, it's less likely to "grab" the valve port/fabric.

The LDS broke mine trying to get it off and ended up sending it to DUI.

Basically it requires a lot of rotational force with the valve pressed in.

Looking at the valve off the suit, I understand why it was so hard to remove, I would surmise that there is some sort of 3 pronged tool, that fits in the back of the valve.

Best of luck.

They're rubber and make EXCELLENT "grippers" for such jobs.

BTW, they work well on second stage reg covers that don't want to come off too :wink:

As a relativy new drysuit diver, I found the intro statement to this thread a little strong. Even if an exhaust valve is leaking or not venting fast enough, IMHO the diver should not experience a runaway ascent if they are diving the suit correctly. The only runaway ascent I can think of would be a stuck inflation valve and inability to remove it fast enough.

If you start to ascent too fast and can't dump air, you can grab your neck or wrist seal and vent air very quickly. you get cold for sure, but no rapid ascent.

Also, as some others have pointed out practicing regular dumping as needed to keep the suit balanced is the idea. And, while some divers do it, using the suit as a BC is inherently flawed (IMHO) because to my knowledge no exhause valve will dump as fast as your BC.

I dive a DUI 200 with the low profile valve. When I first read this thread, all I could remember was one leaky incident. My main focus these days has been on finding a new undergarment that's warm enough. I haven't been concentrating on the valve leak. But now that I think about it, I recall the valve has leaked several times, usually on ascent and one time when I had the valve all the way closed.

I'm glad Vin brought up the leak issue and I really appreciate the discussion here because it's made me rethink and concentrate on that aspect of my suit. It's hasn't been a big leak but I have felt it and just kind of ignored it because I was thinking of other things.

It's a personal thing, but I don't like the high profile valves because they stick out too far. However, if getting one solves your problem, please let us know so we can keep it in mind. I think what I'm going to do is get a Si-Tech valve because my LDS who is very knowledgable says they are the best.

As for the DUI response to everyone's problem with this valve, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I really do think they stand behind their product and certainly their suits are among the best. I find it hard to believe they would continue to put a problem valve on without solving the problem. FAW

I have dove my new suit with the high profile valve and it DOES NOT leak.

It still vents a bit slow compared to the Sitex valve that I had on my BARE suit, so Chickdiver's assertion is correct - but I can live with the high profile APEKS. If/when I have a reason to tear it off the suit for maintenance I will probably put a Sitex back on, but as it stands what's there works quite well.

The DUI low profile that I tried leaked like hell; my arm was sopping wet after 5 minutes in a pool! With the high profile after an hour on a cave dive I was completely dry, other than perspiration.

There is no problem with the high profile valve and it "getting in the way." You just put your left arm in first on your harness, which you should be doing anyway to avoid hanging up on or stressing the valve.

rstark:
Next question, where does the glue go?
The glue goes in between the suit fabric & the valve port (rubber mounting base) You [hopefully] shouldn't need any glue on the valve at all unless you're using one of those el cheapo suits with no port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom