DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
I had one on a BARE suit that I owned - it worked well.

My understanding however is that the hole size is different, so you cannot (easily) swap a SiTech for an EXSITING Apeks installation, or vice-versa.

I had DUI put in the high profile Apeks, which is not known to have problems when I ordered my suit. The SiTech is rumored to have a potential "gotcha" in that the cover can (if impacted or snagged) pop off, which releases the "guts" of the valve (that's all that holds them in) - that would be very bad if it happened at depth, as you'd get an instant and unrecoverable flood!

I never had trouble with my SiTech though on my BARE suit.

It IS higher in profile (but narrower) than the Apeks LP.

I figured that there wasn't much "downside" to the Apeks HP valve, and it left open the capability to field-swap to the LP one if they DO get it fixed, it proves out in the future, and I want to.

Frankly the only real issue with the profile of the valve is the possibility of it hanging up on your harness if you wear a BP.

So?

Put your left arm in first and take it out last - problem solved.

I have to do that anyway since I like my plate to not be "wobbly" when I'm diving.

Genesis- your information was mistaken. The Apeks high and low profile, and the Si-Tech valves are completely interchangeable. I have used all 3 in the same DUI TLS 350 suit with no "hole size" issues. I have been diving the Si-Tech valves for about 5 years now, and haven't heard (or experienced) the "gotcha" issue you mention. Also- bear in mind that I am a cave diver primarily- and I have used the arm the valve is on to prevent myself from running into walls when scootering in low vis. Having used all 3 valves in question- I prefer the Si-Tech- I just think it works better.

Vin- you can request that DUI install the Si-Tech valve when they build the suit (or any other time), with a new suit, there is no upcharge for the Si-Tech valve.

Thanks,
Would you suggest having them do a forearm mount or shoulder?

If it turns out that I don't like the HP Apeks then I'll just buy a SiTech and put it on - they're only $70 or thereabouts - not a lot of money.

Why do you prefer that over the HP Apeks? Were there specific problems with the HP Apeks you had?

I KNOW the LP ones leak, because two of them DID when I was trying out the DUI suits! Not a big deal in a (fairly warm) pool, but it would be real bad in 50F water around here in the winter. Brrrr!

I didn't have any problem with the high profile Apeks. I changed it out on my original TLS 350 because well- Apeks came out with the low profile version, and I am always catching it on my harness. Being short (5'3") and working off pickup truck tailgates a lot- I end up standing on tip toes to put the bottom of the 104's on the tailgate, and it doesn't matter which arm comes out first, because the harness is pushed up so high (I have to undo the crotch strap before performing this manuerver). The Apeks leaked like crazy, and a friend told me about the Si-Tech so I gave it a shot- works like a charm- and low enough profile that I can avoid catching the harness on it. I've been using them since, and I ordered my newest (last Jan) TLS 350 with the Si-Tech valve instead of the Apeks.

Vin: I prefer (and would recommend) the shoulder dump, rather than the wrist. I have never used a wrist dump, but it seems like it would be a pain to lift your arm over your head every time you beed to dump. I dive my suit with very little gas, and keep the dump valve wide open.

They are the valves used in Viking suits. They are indeed made by Si-Tech who is, I believe, a Swedish manufacturer- they also make dry glove systems, etc. They are available from a number of sources - including DUI (obviously), most Viking dealers, Extreme Exposure in High Springs, FL, and, I am sure, a number of others.

Genesis- I buy mine from a compnay called High Tech Diving and Supply in Puta Gorda, FL- they are less than $70- if memory serves- they run around $50.

I'll look into that if I have problems with the other one hanging up.

I'm close to 6' though, so I doubt I will... and most of the time I dive off my boat, and use a big Igloo cooler as the "gear up" station - the only problem with that is I wish it was a bit taller, as short tanks can tip you back a bit :wink:

good info thnks

Vin

yes, these are exactly the circumstances I (and others)have experienced. I dive the suit with as little air as I cane get away with. I had leakage from the valve under these conditions. This was unacceptable to me so I went with another low profile valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom