DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solution to the leaky low profile valve is to keep it open during ascent and descent, and then closed @ depth. When closed - there is no leak. Witht the high profile, are you diveing with the valve open or closed?

Vin

Vin

With the high profile, I leave it all the way open throughout the dive. It doesn't vent air unless I want it to, and more importantly it doesn't let water in. With the low profile valve, I did as you suggest and closed it at depth. The valve would still leak during the ascent. Besides, I don't like the idea of havinfg to make adjustments to the valve thoughout the dive, too easy to forget and leave it closed. Keep in mind that I only have two dives on the new valve, so it has not been exhaustively :D tested, but I am encouraged so far.

You people are bumming me out. I was seriously thinking of investing in a DUI drysuit in the next month,and now I'm completely lost as to what to buy. This thread is not a good one for DUI. I'm into quality products built right the first time.
Com'on DUI, put the better quality valve on from the start! I guess if DUI wants to save a buck or two by installing an inferior valve to what they have available to them,that's doesn't say much for DUI. They could be losing thousands of dollars because of a nickel dime situation. I'll wait for you good folks to experiment alittle more before I make a final decision. Hey,ya think the DUI folks read Scubaboard? Hope so.

Whether or not they read the board, they are definitely aware of the problem.

In any case, the original high-profile valve is still available and works perfectly. The rest of us have been diving it for years with no trouble.

I'm sure the low profile valve was an attempt to placate some who whined about how it got caught on your shoulder strap when gearing up if you were not careful. Now there is a choice. I'm sure more tweaking is going on and there will soon be 2 excellent choices.

theskull

Susan Long (the "operational" Honcho out there) and I recently had this discussion, as I ordered one of their suits.

The bottom line is that they worked with Apeks to redesign the balky low profile valve, and now claim that they have a new, improved version that is fixed.

Nonetheless, I requested that the high profile version be installed on the suit I ordered. They said "no problem" and are doing so.

The (older) LP one was on BOTH rentals I tried for sizing purposes, AND BOTH LEAKED IN THE POOL. The dealer claimed to know nothing of the problem - when I got out of the pool with a wet left upper arm TWICE he perked up more than a bit :wink:

Nothing like an object lesson to make my point for me, eh?

My understanding is that you can solve the problem with the older valve by closing it down a couple of clicks, but I don't like that solution, as I like to dive with very little gas in my suit. Closing the valve doesn't facilitate that; I want it wide open.

If DUI has actually solved the problem, then that's great. I won't be able to tell you if they have (my suit should be here any day now) though, because I just said "the hell with that" and told 'em to use the high profile valve on mine.

Its not a big deal; just ask them to use the high profile one or, if you want, get the "new, improved" LP model and if you don't like how it behaves then get it swapped.

Genesis once bubbled...
Susan Long (the "operational" Honcho out there) and I recently had this discussion, as I ordered one of their suits.
When diving their suits this last weekend at the Demo Days I asked this very question. "Heard you are/were having problems with the exhaust valves" I was told that the old valves were being replaced with a "new" valve that solved the problem. I didn't have any leaks at the valve on any of the four dives which I used the demo suits. Tested the TLS350, CNS450 and the CL200. I don't know whether the demo suits had the old or new valves, but the problem was being addressed.

Does it release ALL the air?

I've seen some exhausts that are maddening in this regard, in that a "bubble" remains in your arm even though the valve is "wide open."

If I have it wide open (and I do) I want ALL the air out! :)

(That is, the suit and the surrounding water are at the same pressure inside and out.)

That's the way I prefer to dive a drysuit.

Well, Genesis I must respectfully disagree and state that it "is a big deal". The reason that I say this is that as of my last post a week ago the problem was not fixed. DUI continues to install the leaky valve in it's suits and pawn them off on unsuspecting consumers who are buying the DUI brand based upon reputation. I agree that for informed (educated) purchasers like yourself this may not pose a problem. You clearly can distinguish the difference and request what you would like to have in the way of valves. But, what about newer divers or divers that are NOT aware of the problem and that do not know the difference until it's too late. Or like in my case where DUI employees flat out misinformed me as to the truth even when asked directly about it. Bottom line is a company with the reputation of DUI should be above an ongoing incident like this. Frankly, it is an embarrassment and should be put to bed once and for all. They should just not install the LP valve until Apeks fixes the problem.

On this one I have to stand with mardigrastexan.

Well, in that case call, scream, and make them eat that valve in the <censored> of your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom