DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I havew a fairly new CLX450 that came with the low profile dump valve. After 12 dives with the suit, I contacted my LDS with the two complaints addressed in this thread (slow venting, leaking). I requested a replacement high profile valve and DUI sent out the new valve without argument. The only excuse DUI had for the leaking low profile valve was that not enough air was kept in the suit to keep water out. I just had the new valve installed and hopefully will be in the water this week to check it out. If you are haveing problems with the low profile valve, let DUI know about it and get it fixed under waranty. Maybe if enough owners complain about the poor performance of the low profile Apeks valve, DUI will find a better alternative for their otherwise outstanding dry suits.

frwyfghtr once bubbled...
The only excuse DUI had for the leaking low profile valve was that not enough air was kept in the suit to keep water out.

Sounds like a valid reason to me. This would not be the first or the only valve to have this "problem". Let me know how the new valve works for you. If it also leaks and the only common denominator is haivng too little air in the suit then you at least have another option to consider.

DUI has always impressed me with the qaulity if thier drysuits and their knowledge of dry suit diving so I would not be inclined to blow off their explanation as just an excuse.

DUI can also provide the SITech low profile dump valves, which have a better dump rate and don't leak.

Da Aquamaster,

I agree that DUI knows what they are talking about, and on at least one occasion I can take the blame for allowing water to enter through the valve by failing to put air in the suit fast enough on the descent. However, most of the leaking that I experienced with the low profile valve occured during the ascent. This is with the valve several clicks closed (because wide open it leaked almost continuously) during a very slow ascent. On some occasions, there was more air in the suit than I felt comportable with. I will be working today, so I won't be in the water agian for about a week, but I will let you know how the new valve works out.

I just took delivery of a new DUI TLS 350SP. I had it custom fitted at DEMA. In fact, I still haven't trimmed the latex wrist or neck seals. After reading all the posts regarding the APEKS low profile leaking exhaust valve I became very concerned. Unfortunately I did NOT read these comments BEFORE ordering the suit. I called DUI and spoke to customer service. I received a somewhat defensive but lengthy explanation of the valve situation.

1. Yes, it will leak under certain conditions.
2. It will leak whether you close it partially or close it all the way. The problem is inherent in the design of the low profile valve.
3. Yes, they will change it out for me at no cost.

They are definitely aware of the situation but also claim that hundreds of divers are using the valve with no problem or complaint. They claim that the problem is exacerbated by using minimum air in the suit. So, if you like to dive with little to no air in your suit you WILL experience leakage. On the other hand if you use a larger quantity if air the leakage should NOT occur.

I guess I am curious to know if any of this makes sense to the people that have experienced water leakage using the APEKS low profile exhaust valve on their DUI suits?

...I am curious to know if any of this makes sense to the people that have experienced water leakage using the APEKS low profile exhaust valve...
Apeks exhaust valves have a history of being less than "ideal" performers over the long run. A few years back there were some issues with them requiring much more "servicing" than what one would normally expect. The problems cleared up for a couple years & now there's another round of mischief going on.
Have it changed out, you might get a good one this time, or you might want to request a Si Tech valve be used instead.

Have 3 APEKS tall dump valves. No problems. And I dive with a little squeeze in my suit. I don't like an air bubble floating around in my suit.

chickdiver once bubbled...
DUI can also provide the SITech low profile dump valves, which have a better dump rate and don't leak.

Which I requested when I ordered my suit based on the excellent advice from the board and CD in particular and I absolutely love it.

Yeah. Well, I spent at least two hours at the DUI booth at DEMA in Miami this year. I had my measurements taken by their factory staff. I also asked several times before I ordered the suit if there were ANY negative issues with valves, zippers, etc., that they knew about. They flatly answered NO. So now after reading the boards about the leaks occurring with the Apeks dump valve I am very disappointed by their failure to disclose the issue when originally asked about it. Frankly, I believe it was deceptive. The fact that they will allow me to send it back and have the valve swapped out does not mitigate the deception at installing it in the first place. It is obvious that they want to push the faulty valve for cost reasons and are willing to take the return requests because they know it is warranted. If it wasn't why would they be so willing to do the swap outs in the first place yet continue to install them (Apeks low profile) in new suits now? When someone spends this much money on a product it should be built right the first time. Not have a defective (in this case leaky valve) part knowingly installed in the hope that MOST people will not complain and ask for it to be replaced. Just my two cents worth.

BTW, I had another dry suit that I was happy with prior to this one that I outgrew :(. I went with the DUI this time around because I thought I was upgrading. WOW. What an eye opener.

On the other hand, I am sure they build an excellent suit. Many people all over the world sing their praises. My comments are only directed at the valve incident. NOT at the quality of the suit overall or the company itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom