Dumaguete Trip report feb 24-26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar:
great report carlo!!! i marked dive #10 at coconut point - it's amazing i'm alive to even be typing! but isnt' coconut point AMAZING!?!?!

glad the currents weren't as bad as you're describing when i was there...

but knowing you i can imagine that huge stupid grin you would have had on your face after that dive... hehehehehehehe

Jag
wait a minute...The north side is the roughest this time of year. We were in the middle of a strong tide. A new moon was just underway. We had conditions which should predict the most bad @ss current there should have been for this site. And you're telling us it can get worse?!?!?!? Man, did we really underestimate coconut point then! :)

chip104:
wait a minute...The north side is the roughest this time of year. We were in the middle of a slack tide. A new moon was just underway. We had conditions which should predict the most bad @ss current there should have been for this site. And you're telling us it can get worse?!?!?!? Man, did we really underestimate coconut point then! :)

nope we did not dive on a slack tide. dive #2 was slack tide. cocopint dive #3 was when the tidal currents returned to its most ferocious. were pretty lucky to experience the currents at its most ferocious without even realizing it. rastaman dint even warn us.

talk about a demented trick or treat. i very much enjoyed it though:D

Spoon:
i would never bring another diver there with only 10 dives but hell you managed. all i can say is that coconut point is *****N AWESOME!!! if you like riding an enraged bull this white knuckle rock n roll dive is for you.

actually it was a devlish grin:drejnd:
i was in a boat with 13 other DMs, OWSIs, MSDTs and Course Directors... the 11 others just assumed i was a PADI Pro... a DM friend and my OW instructor were there but it was also his first time in apo island and didn't know what to expect

after the roller coaster ride i asked if he would have let me go down if he knew what it was like down there, and he said he would have given me a special briefing but would still have let me go under

but would i go back to coconut point? let me get my own gear and do a couple of familiarization dives on it and the answer would be: HELL YEAH!

Jag

chip104:
wait a minute...The north side is the roughest this time of year. We were in the middle of a slack tide. A new moon was just underway. We had conditions which should predict the most bad @ss current there should have been for this site. And you're telling us it can get worse?!?!?!? Man, did we really underestimate coconut point then! :)
you did not underestimate coconut point Chip..the DM did. He might have put the two of you in harm's way, well sort of. You're both alive now to file reports.

Great report Chip. You guys did a terrific job using your heads there. As others have said, it's your brain that gets you through scary times like that. I've already packed my trusty reef hook, I always carry it, and I'm ready to go. I thought your drawings were pretty good.:D

clgsamson:
you did not underestimate coconut point Chip..the DM did. He might have put the two of you in harm's way, well sort of. You're both alive now to file reports.

yup he did, would have made a world of difference if we knew about it in advance. its like your expecting a golden retriever and get shocked when it was actually a snarling pitbull. knowing in advance and what to expect is crucial.

hey spoon and chip and otheres not to rob your thread and post off topic, but i will leave this friday for PG atlantis resort, have never been in warm water and NEVER real strong current, is this somthing i have to look forward too out there the current that is?? oh and nice trip report and glad you did well in the current you expirienced!!

jim ernst:
hey spoon and chip and otheres not to rob your thread and post off topic, but i will leave this friday for PG atlantis resort, have never been in warm water and NEVER real strong current, is this somthing i have to look forward too out there the current that is?? oh and nice trip report and glad you did well in the current you expirienced!!
Jim, the PG dives to look out for (cuz of very strong currents) are The Canyons, Washing Machine and FishBowl. Hope you hook up with a good DM in PG. Enjoy!

Spoon:
yup he did, would have made a world of difference if we knew about it in advance. its like your expecting a golden retriever and get shocked when it was actually a snarling pitbull. knowing in advance and what to expect is crucial.
very glad you guys made it out...but did it ever crossed your mind even for a second to call off the dive and go someplace else? If it did that was your inner voice calling to you, if not you guys are very brave indeed. Bahala Na!:wink:

jim ernst:

you will enjoy yourself in pg, like clgsamson mentioned the canyons and washing machine are pretty strong but manegeable. i thought canyons was pretty strong and was the strongest current i have experienced prior to coconut point. canyons is now a walk in the park.

hook up with a good dm. atlantis is known for their good and qualified dms. you should be fine, just make sure to address all your concerns with the dm before you hit the water. good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom