dumb nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26 once bubbled...
For Nitrox to be of any benefit anyway, you'd have to be at depths deeper than what you would be certified for just OW. I waited until after AOW to get my Nitrox cert.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

I wouldn't agree with this. For lower FO2 mixes possibly, but the higher mixes, 38, 40 and above, work very well at shallower depths. Depends on what you are doing and why. Also, older divers can benefit with EAN at any reasonable depth.

Phil

padiscubapro once bubbled...

I guess I'm a freak :)... I teach both.

The wheel can't be beat for multilevel dives...

I have a wheel collecting dust, havent found anybody that wants it, you want it :confused: :eek:ut: :D

MechDiver once bubbled...

I wouldn't agree with this. For lower FO2 mixes possibly, but the higher mixes, 38, 40 and above, work very well at shallower depths. Depends on what you are doing and why. Also, older divers can benefit with EAN at any reasonable depth.

Phil

Mech is right. There is actually no reason to even dive air at all. Use nitrox up to 100ft and it is best to use trimix for anything deeper. Whether it gives you much more bottomtime or not, it IS safer (assuming of course you get the right education on how to use enriched air) :)

extending bottomtimes for shallow dives isnt that usefull because of NDL that are pretty long already, deeper however the gain is more significant.

Jarhead / Mr. Mojo
I had a similar question about having to take a trip to Florida to get signed off on the course. Wasn't a viable option as I'm in Indiana and not schedule to be in Florida until Feb. so I shot them an email. Told them that I already had a few nitrox dives as part of my AOW class and they indicated that all I would need to do is complete the text portion. I sent in my info yesterday so I'll keep you posted as to how things progress from here (evaluating my answers on the final as well as how the certification is given).

Have had a number of communications with them (via email) and they have been very responsive. That alone in my book counts for a lot.

Give them a call or send them an email with any questions...

Best Regards
Don

Those of you the didn't agree with my earlier post probably didn't understand it. As you learn in an EANx class, each different EANx blend, whether it's 32 or 36 or something else has a max depth. Newer divers may not have the buoyancy skills to avoid dropping below the max depth for the blend they are using. That's why I waited until after AOW and would suggest others do as well.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

melfox26 once bubbled...
Those of you the didn't agree with my earlier post probably didn't understand it. As you learn in an EANx class, each different EANx blend, whether it's 32 or 36 or something else has a max depth. Newer divers may not have the buoyancy skills to avoid dropping below the max depth for the blend they are using. That's why I waited until after AOW and would suggest others do as well.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

newer divers may not have the bouyancy skills, true. But i have seen plenty of OW divers with much better bouyancy skills than AOW, rescue, or DM's. Dont let a c-card fool you with regards to a divers skills.

Bouyancy is everything :notworthy :D

CheeseWhiz once bubbled...
Looking in my PADI "Enriched Air Diver Manual," the only "requirements" I can find to take the Nitrox course comes on page xii, where there is a PADI Continuing Education Course Flow.

This flow chart shows the Enriched Air course being available after Advanced OW certification. So it sounds like AOW is the minimum requirement, with no specific requirement for # of dives.

It's not, maybe it used to be, but not anymore. I got my Nitrox w/o AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom