Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First dive after my OW cert. in Aruba, didn't realize the dive platform on the back of the boat was underwater. Went to take my giant stride, tripped over the wave and fell flat on my face.

2nd dive, forgot to turn on my air.

Dive a few weeks ago was VERY overweighted (dumb thing #1), dumped the air from my BC (#2) and sank like a rock almost impaling myself on the periscope of a sunken sub at the quarry. Was able to catch the scope and stop my decent. Thank god I was only in 35 ft of water.

Back in my Panama City scuba grommet days, I was helping one of the divemasters as he was handing me his gear from the water before he got back in the boat. Weight belt..... fish stringer..... speargun.... HEY WAIT A SECOND!!! Three bands cocked and a tri-cut staring me in the face. Defintiely made an impression on me for gun safety. UNCOCK THOSE SPEARS BEFORE you leave your safety stop!!

WD

Well, I was diving around a small island in the Sea of Cortez and I came down about 2 feet from a 6" seahorse. I was the only one to see it and since it was my first I got so absorbed watching it that I didn't notice everybody swimming away. I was so sure I knew where they went that I slowly explored the bay on my way to catch up. Well I never caught up but no problem, I'd just swim to the boat once I surfaced. Imagine my surprise when I surfaced and no boat in sight! I had swam to the wrong side of the island. Luckily it was only an hour's swim to the beach and a couple of miles walk to the resort. I was too embarrassed to be mad that no one missed me until I didn't come back to the boat.

My wife and I switched weight belts on our last dive. She sunk like a stone and I could barely get to the bottom. Thankfully I was able to take some of her wieghts back and establish bouyancy by the end of the dive.

I also forgot to shave before going on our first OW certification dive. I spent the entire dive clearing my mask which was also horribly fogged up and used up all of my air in the process. I surfaced with 100PSI left in my tank. I shaved for the remaining dives and didn't have to clear my mask a single time the rest of the trip.

Andrew

Albion:
responded in the DIR Forum

Actually read a post by Albion.

In reality, it would have been, taking several specialty courses, and then taking DIRF. Wish I would have done that first.

THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE DONE was something that PREVENTED ME FROM DIVING AND NOT APPLYING THE Discipline learned from DIVING.

i broke several rules or norms in DIVING, and they are

1. peer pressure
2. doing things beyond my limit
3. doing it without proper training (jumping the GUN)
4. doing without Protective gear
5. Losing my Cell Phone
6. Thinking to the tune of "I believe i can FLY"

i am talking about having my shoulder/elbow dislocated after a Motorcycle crash.

the incident. i barely got the 400cc motorbike (less than 12 hours) i joined a group, who said we would just have coffee, however the coffee shop they had in mind was 120 Kilometers away passing through Highway

This is the first time i am riding a 400 cc

I just put on a T-shirt as i thought we were just having coffee within the friendly local coffee shop

the morning of that faithful day i was signed up to take the BASIC RIDING COURSE in three days!!!!

I lost the cell phone when CRASHED , thinking i could fly (again to the tune of the song "I believe i can fly")

The COST , I COULD NOT DIVE DUE TO MY INJURY !!!!!!!

so now when i speed up, i go "REMEMBER THE PAIN" and ofcourse the EXPENSE!!!

hehehehhe, just sharing with you the DUMBEST THING I DID.

BUT ALAS I WILL BE GOING OUT FOR MY FIRST DIVE AFTER that incident. I am taking two guys for an intro dive this weekend and then on NOv. 6 i would be teaching a senior citizen to SCUBA DIVE. :O)

scuba_frog:
First dive after my OW cert. in Aruba, didn't realize the dive platform on the back of the boat was underwater. Went to take my giant stride, tripped over the wave and fell flat on my face.

Sorry man, I'm just sitting here laughing my #$ off, that was funny............

Ok, time to ad to my list.

Saturday my primary starts leaking before a dive. If I even touch the purge it starts free flowing. My secondary is leaking too, but not nearly as bad.

I borrow a TX 100 from my buddy, swap out my primary and get a dive in. I'm going away in a week, though, so I need to get my regs fixed!

Since my buddy's reg didn't leak, I figured the problem was with my second stages and not my first stage. Back home I replace each second stage one at a time with my ATX 40. No leaking at all. I figure I'll just adjust them myself. Duh, why didn't I just do this on the boat?

I've never done it before, but it's not that hard. Just unscrew the hose and tighten that screw inside the reg. I know when the shop does this he slaps a gauge on to check the pressure, but I figure if I go by the "tighten it as little as possible" until it stops free flowing theory I'll be ok.

So I do the secondary first. Tighten it just a tiny little bit and no more leak. Next I do my primary. No more leaking, but still free flows pretty easily. So I quickly unscrew it to make another adjustment and "POP". Yeah you guessed it...I didn't close the valve first. So here I am crouched down behind my tank, with my reg in my hand, my arm covering my face, and a 7' hose flying all over the place like a big snake. The whole episode only took a few seconds, but duh what a tool I must have looked like. Good thing it happened on a Monday afternoon when all the neighbors were at work.

about 10 years or so ago, a buddy of mine and I would go pillage the public boat launches in the delaware river. Our booty was generally a nice bunch of watches, jewelery et cet that the tubers/ canoeists/ kayakers would drop in about 10 feet of water.

After a successful haul of about $20 worth of cheap imitation ray ban sunglasses, we decide to call it a day. We proceed to get out of our wetsuits (friends don't let friends wear speedos), and I put my brand new Tag Heuer on the bumper to get my arms free.

We drive back to home, and proceed to laugh at all the tourists losing all their stuff... and my buddy asks me what time it is. Gulp. Turn the car around, go back to the boat launch, watch a bus full of tourists leave the boat launch....

$20 in sunglasses for a $400 watch. priceless.

Back
Top Bottom