Dump Valve on DUI suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Is anyone else having any problems with the dump valve on their suit? I have a two month old DUI CF 200 that either is reluctant to dump or when it does (valve fully open, but not depressed) swallows water. After tonights dive where I was having a variety of problems mainly to do with the air not purging, I finished the dive with over a pint of water in my suit.

To get it to dump, I have to go face up, feet down, raise my arm well above my head and then pump at the elbow. Just holding my arm up with slightly lowered feet doesn't work.

Just for reference I use a Northern Divers 200 liner.

overexposed2X:
Is anyone else having any problems with the dump valve on their suit? I have a two month old DUI CF 200 that either is reluctant to dump or when it does (valve fully open, but not depressed) swallows water. After tonights dive where I was having a variety of problems mainly to do with the air not purging, I finished the dive with over a pint of water in my suit.

To get it to dump, I have to go face up, feet down, raise my arm well above my head and then pump at the elbow. Just holding my arm up with slightly lowered feet doesn't work.

Just for reference I use a Northern Divers 200 liner.

If it's one of those low profile Apeks valves then I've heard nothing good about them. Not one single thing. If I had to guess I'd say that this is what you have.

If it's having trouble venting then I can suggest a couple of things:

1) make sure the valve is all the way open.
2) make sure nothing can get behind the valve on the inside of the suit to seal it off. I can't visualise your undergarment offhand but some undergarments work better than others in the "sealing-off-the-valve" deptartment
3) if you have to go all the way vertical to dump then the valve may be placed too high. Some people are also adding cuff-dumps to their suits because of this. I don't like them but they may offer a solution. Also dumping efficiently from one of those auto-valves takes time to learn. Give it a dive or 10 before making any major adjustment to your suit

Good luck.

R..

You may want to take the dump valve apart to make sure that the valve is clean. A hair or dirt can make the valve leak when it's all the way open. Your LDS can do this for you, too.

I had "problems" with the Si-Tech valve on my suit and I've heard nothing but good about them. If you are relatively new to a drysuit, as I was then, it may just be as Diver0001 said about getting used to them.

If you are weighted light with little air in the suit you may be just trying to wring out air that isn't there and letting in water while trying.

Good luck,
Dennis

I've got just over 30 dives on this suit. My other suit has SI-Tech valves that I've never had a problem with. I never had to roll on my back with these valves and with just slightly head up position it vents without issue. With the SI-Techs I can unscrew them to clean them no problem. The Apek valves don't seem to allow that.

Come to think about it when I first got the DUi it worked fine as well. Guess I just need to bring it in for service.

Is your valve on the shoulder or wrist? Kind of sounds like wrist when you mention lifting your arm over your head. If wrist, they tend to be smaller than shoulder valves and may not dump as efficiently anyway. In any event, with dry suit dump valves, water pressure alone won't force air to where you think it should go, only your position in the water will do that. Dry suits also have a lot more play in them than wet suits so they are going to trap air anyway. Personally, I found that my attitude and trim in the water was essential to air management. I use my shoulder dump on automatic. I add enough air to compensate for the squeeze, open the valve enough to burp out a small amount of air then close it one click. As long as I stay horizontal and at the same depth, everything works fine.

I have trouble dumping air but I don’t know that it’s because of the valve.

The DUI dry suit I use has a shoulder dump and I used to dive it open, then two clicks closed. This wasn’t working and another diver recommended diving with it all the way open. Though that’s not the greatest thing to do from a gas management perspective, it has worked MUCH better for me.

To dump air from the suit I have to get vertical, then I fill my left arm with air, slowly bend it down and roll back a bit so that the valve is up instead of on the side forcing the air down and then out. I also reach over and squeezed the suit near the valve which forces much of the “trapped” air out.

Does anyone know of any other “tricks” to help dump air from the suit?

overexposed2X
I just recently posted this question on the DUI board as i am looking at getting a TLS350 signature series suit and was weary of the Apeks low profile exhaust valve. Below is my question and Susan Long's response

http://www.dui-online.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=0001;action=display;num=1091301850

I am looking at buying a new TLS350 signature series suit.

I mostly dive with just enough air in my suit to eliminate uncomfortable squeeze. I have heard that the apeks low profile exhaust valves have a habit of leaking when used in this manner. Is it possible to get the suit with a si-tech valve as it worked great on my last suit.

My next question is that prefer my exhaust valve located on the forearm rather than the uper arm. Is it possible to do so on a new signature series suit. I prefer it about mid forearm so i still have room for my wrist compass between the exhaust valve and wrist seal.

Hi Larry,

Great questions! And I've got some answers for you:

Apeks Low Profile Exhaust Valve - We have been working closely with Apeks to design a valve that will incorporate all of the features that we want which include a include a higher vent rate, lower opening pressure (especially at shallow depths), and remains dry even under negative pressure (virtually no air in the suit). We are pleased to say that the current design is working very well. It is more sensative than the valves of old therefore you may want to turn it back just slightly versus keeping it entirely open. However, if properly weighted, this valve should work beautifully for you. On a side note, since you are purchasing a TLS350 Signature Series, you can select a SI-Tec valve if you prefer.

Valve Placement - Again, since you are having a suit made to order for you, you can put the valve on the forearm. However, in our experience of manufacturing thousands and thousands of drysuits, 99% of divers prefer it on their upper left arm. The reasons, 1) While swimming, it is easy to "tilt" to the side slightly to vent air, (2) An exhaust valve on a forearm may interfere while taking underwater photographs and video - bubbles! and (3) With the exhaust valve on your shoulder, you still have use of your hand while venting. Example, you can lift your arm and still hold a light, guage or even the ascent line. If it is on your forearm, you have to lift your arm but may not be able to view your guage. Just some things to think about.

If it was my suit, I'd chose the Apeks Low Profile Exhaust Valve and put it on my left shoulder. However, this isn't my suit, it's your suit. And we're happy to make it just like you want it. If you'd like to talk about this more, give me a call at DUI at 800.325.8439. We're here to help!

One time my DUI did the same thing on a dive, I took the valve apart to clean/inspect it and found the cause was dog hair! :11: My thermals seem to be a magnet for dog hair and it worked it's way into the valve, compromising its function. So, I cleaned the valve, duct taped the dog hair off my thermals and everything works fine-Do you have a dog that likes to shed?

I'm on my 3rd Apex low profile valve due to leaking. I was at DUI Dog Day last year (2003) and was told at the field repair seminar that the high profile valve was far superior to the low. The individual that stated this was a DUI employee expressing her personal preference and repair experience.

IF this 3rd one goes the way of the previous 2, I'm switching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom