E-Learning: the way forward or maybe not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I think the fact that anything PADI does leads to people thinking they have some ulterior motive is preventing an honest look at the subject. If it helps, talk about UTD's use of the technology so the PADI bias doesn't become part of the question.

For some regular posers, eliminating the PADI bias would leave them with nothing to type! :shakehead:

Point being that it's apples and oranges to compare the implementation of online classes between the two agencies ... because not only is the curriculum different, but the motivations and expectations of the students are different.
Sure, and that was kind of my point that we need to be careful not to condemn e-learning as a whole.

However, with your post in general, the posts from instructors on here seem to indicate that PADI students are going through the material carefully and come in fully prepared. The "not taking it seriously" seems like a theoretical concern that so far no one has given an actual occurrence of.

Additionally, the current program already involves self study (reading the book, watching the DVD, learning tables, etc.): so there's no guarantee students are trying to learn. As well, just because a student sits in a class doesn't guarantee they treat it seriously either. I'm sure many of us can think of classes in high-school, university, or whatever where we just daydreamed through the whole thing and the only way we learned the content was reading the textbook afterwards. Point being: online or otherwise, students will choose if they want to learn or just get the c-card.

I haven't seen the e-learning program, and am not particularly interested in them (I'm not paying more for the same material, plus I hate reading on a computer screen). However, I think it can be an effective tool for PADI and other agencies if used correctly and isn't automatically just some way to dumb down training.

Unfortunately I think the fact that anything PADI does leads to people thinking they have some ulterior motive is preventing an honest look at the subject. If it helps, talk about UTD's use of the technology so the PADI bias doesn't become part of the question.
It's a natural result of that old saw, "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior."
For some regular posers, eliminating the PADI bias would leave them with nothing to type! :shakehead:
I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings, I truly am, but suspecting PADI to have ulterior motives is a natural, learned behavior.

Just a quick heads up to some fellow instructors this is not a post about the quality of PADI versus other agencies
it is about the training delivery method not about the content

As at this time only PADI, UTD and SDI and maybe few others are offering online classes it would appropriate to state how good or better are the other elsewhere not here

it is also clear that up to now we only have positive views from the students and instructors who have used the method and some observations pertinent or not from people with no direct exposure to the class offered above

it would be interesting to have a view on a negative direct experience if any

Posted via Mobile Device

Just a quick heads up to some fellow instructors this is not a post about the quality of PADI versus other agencies
it is about the training delivery method not about the content

As at this time only PADI, UTD and SDI and maybe few others are offering online classes it would appropriate to state how good or better are the other elsewhere not here

it is also clear that up to now we only have positive views from the students and instructors who have used the method and some observations pertinent or not from people with no direct exposure to the class offered above

it would be interesting to have a view on a negative direct experience if any
But you can not separate the delivery method from the content. If the learning objectives that the program content is developed to meet are inadequate, it really does not matter how good the delivery system is. Similarly if an e-learning system delivers a more thorough understanding that a particular instructor does, that is hardly a validation of the delivery system, except as it is when compared to that instructor ... it says nothing what-so-ever about how it would fair with other instructors. There is a community of instructors who use a final exam that is, basically, the old NAUI Master Dive exam (Instructor level) and who require 80% to pass with 100% on the Decompression Section. Show me an e-learning system that can begin to approach this.

I don't think many people out there have a choice

There are no NAUI dive centers in UK, Egypt or Italy where I work, live or dive and in the whole of Thailand where I go at times only 4 in the whole territory so I honestly don't think the whole discussion about some didactics that don't exist has any relevance comparing those to PADI, CMAS, SDI or SSI that are what is on offer in the majority of the globe?

I believe that you always have a choice, and that you have to take personal responsibility for both the choices that you make and those that you fail to make. I do not go where the wind blows me, I use it to get to where I have decided to go.

So we suggest to people that want to take a class in those regions to get a plane to US as part of an OW class as opposed to online learning?:D
Am I wrong to conclude that English is not your lingua mater? That would explain a some of the trouble I have clearly understanding your posts.

I don't think you can express a real opinion on a curriculum you believe it is flawed and inadequate in the first place, this is what you said to me isn't it? however you are definitely rambling along well!!! Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom