Ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you have healthy ears & the oil is not rancid (gone bad) I would coat my ears
(Before-a-Dive) with Mineral Oil (inexpensive in the US) or Olive Oil (Expensive)
This would be ideal for divers that get water stuck in their ears in long periods of time. Oil and water do not mix. [In theory] The oil should help the water roll on out the ear faster. If not... at least you have coated your ears and this should give you enough time for the water to dry up in your ears.
or
(After a Dive) use white distilled vinegar(inexpensive in the US) as an antiseptic and wash out your ears.
or combination of both methods above.

Of course you want to verify & research this online at several reputable sites. Here is a link on this subject.
Snorkel Riddle
If oil and water don't mix. Why do we mix the 2 when boiling pasta? :)

Inner ear: Constant and or re-occurring infections can cause scaring on the tympanic membrane (ear drum) and other inner ear structures, this leads to permanent hearing loss and can be quite uncomfortable. The inner ear is a structure of bones and tissues and hair, there is a tube in the back that in adults drains down into the throat.

I'm definitely not a doctor, or anything close to it, but isn't that a description of the middle ear? The middle ear is separated from the outer er by the ear drum, it has ossicles that vibrate with sound, and then pass on those vibrations to the chochlea in the the inner ear. The tube that connects the middle ear with the throat is the eustachian tube, and that is what allows equalization to take place. The whole structure of the middle ear should be dry, as opposed to the inner ear which is fluid filled, and therefore feels no effects of compression upon descent.

Anyway.... hope that's the case because there are 20 odd DMTs out there who learned that from me
:rofl3:

I think that was the right mix. I know it was white vinegar, but could not recall the rest.

50% white vinegar/ 50% isopropal (rubbing)alcohol (91% by vol preferrably)
(alcohol comes 70% and 91% by vol)

My friends call the vinegar/alcohol mix : "Ear Beer"

Here is a source that suggest the same ear brew below. The active Ingredients and their actions.
Isopropyl Alcohol: Kills germs and evaporates trapped water.
Distilled White Vinegar: Kills germs and fungus.
Side Effects: Frequent use may dry out your ears. (The side effects has to be coming from the Isopropyl Alcohol)

End Chronic Ear Infections/Swimmers Ear

After reading the article above, this gives me more incentive to stick with:
Mineral or Olive oil your ears before a dive and wash your ears with Distilled White Vinegar after a dive. If you are not experiencing ear issues with this method, you are doing great. If you are still experiencing ear issues, see a doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom