Earthquake today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope not. The PI is a beautiful place with really nice people and great diving. I haven't heard of anyone not coming to California to dive because of the earthquakes.

Logic does not always prevail drbill, I know of someone who cancelled a trip to Anilao because of the fighting in Zamboanga recently...... which is the same distance between the two as it is from San Francisco to Las Vegas..... I think once something happens in a third world country that might affect safety the preceived danger is multiplied by 10 compared to if a similar problem happened in a first world country.

Business is not as usual. My gf works at an Alona Beach resort and already had about a 30% room cancellation for the balance of the year. That may result in employee layoffs.

About 8 to 10 towns have been hard hit from the 7.2 quake. Rest assured there is no insurance for such events. And there is no FEMA in the Philippines.

The Gov. Tourist Offce will launch a campaign explaining the quake. Some people think all of Bohol was destroyed. Some even think the Philippines was destroyed.

Some even think the Philippines was destroyed

That's the problem , most people know very little about the geography of these places and don't realize the massive distances between 2 places. Hopefully the goverment can show it's business as usual to foreigners.

Sorry to hear about all the cancellations on Alona Beach. I was thinking of visiting Alona again but will stick to a longer relaxed stay on Malapascua next month.

I am planning to travel to Cebu on November 4 and stay at the Shangrila hotel for about 5 days, then on to Bohol for 9 days. I would appreciate knowing about the following things that would probably affect my trip

1. Are things okay in Mactan/Cebu?
2. Are the ferries running okay from Cebu to Bohol/Alona Beach area?
3. How are the dive operations and restaurants doing in the Alona Beach area?

Any feedback is appreciated.

I dont know about bohol, i put the question to a local mactan operator i know, he said they were planning a trip that way when i talked to him a week ago, just awaiting his answer.

Mactan is largely unaffected by the earthquake, other than the dive sites are pretty quiet from lack of brave tourists. Business as usual around there.

What do you plan to dive in mactan? I think i'll be in malapascua on the 5th, but i'll be kicking around mactan until the 8th. Im trying to get the training wheels off my new housing before i have to go back to Canada and wont be able to use it again for a while.

-Jason

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 04:57 AM ----------

I just wanted to add... i just looked at your uw flickr album... maybe you'd like to hook up and share underwater photography techniques. And by "share" i mean show me how you do it while i apply copius amounts of compliments about your work. Lol. Seriously though, fantastic work there! I only learned about mandarin fish a week ago, and there they are! Fantastic wide angle stuff too. Well done, well done.

-jason

Hi Jason,

We are diving with the house operation at Shangrila (Scotty's, I believe is the name). We will do 3 mornings of diving with them at the local dive sites. Thanks for your kind words on my pics. I would be happy to meet up with you if you would like, send me a private message and we can see if the logistics will work.

Cheers,
Erwin

I am planning to travel to Cebu on November 4 and stay at the Shangrila hotel for about 5 days, then on to Bohol for 9 days. I would appreciate knowing about the following things that would probably affect my trip

1. Are things okay in Mactan/Cebu?
2. Are the ferries running okay from Cebu to Bohol/Alona Beach area?
3. How are the dive operations and restaurants doing in the Alona Beach area?

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have been in touch with Alona Beach - Fun Divers, as well as where I will be staying. Both report that there was little impact in and around Panglao Island. The ferry is running from Cebu and the airport is fine.

Hope that helps, Finbob

---------- Post added October 26th, 2013 at 01:25 PM ----------

Here is an update sent from Fun Divers - Alona Beach - to me & others (it's now on their web page):
Hope this helps...

Dear Valued Customers & Friends,We are sending you this message to re-assure you about the earthquake situation in Bohol.
Alona Beach, Panglao Island in Bohol was not affected at all. There was damage to a church in Dauis municipality :(.
Traveling from Tagbilaran to our place is very safe. Both bridges connecting Panglao with Bohol are intact.
The airport in Tagbilaran was not affected except for the minor damages at the arrival hall.
The ferry’s from Cebu to Tagbilaran and vice versa are plying the route on a regular basis. Tagbilaran ferry port sustained only minor damages, i.e cracks which are not causing any danger to travellers.
It was heard in the news that Panglao was badly affected, which is NOT TRUE!!!
Here at Philippine Fun Divers is operating as usual and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Best regards from Paradise!PFD Management

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom