Earthquake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our power just came on a few minutes ago - though I think that being in the Pearl City/Aiea area, we were one of the first areas to get it.

What was hard was having telephone service completely out and very spotty cell phone service (it's working for a couple of hours, then out for a couple of hours).

I was sleeping when the earthquake hit - I thought "Oh, it's another earthquake" and went back to sleep. I was more shocked when I woke up later to find that all the power was out on the island.

Been there, and done that here...not something I want to repeat. Lio Kai, are you okay? On the news tonight, they are showing the epicenter as being close to Kona.

Hope everyone over there is OK!!!!

Just got my power back about 30 minutes ago... most relaxing day I've had in a while

From the news and edited and paraphrased by me - what I’ve heard. No major injury and no fatality.

Power out for most of the entire state. Oahu out of power, main topic when the power came on here. No Tsunami threat due to nature of the quake – the type doesn’t generate tsunami.
Hana Highway is closed with a slide, haven’t heard much else of other locked out.
Hawai’i roads have slides but just takes a very long drive around – up in Hamakua area. Structural damage mostly shifting off foundations and rock wall collapse. The Queen (Kona side) has problems but not clear where, mostly rock falls and one lane. Some schools closed but teachers in to clean up.

Problems with air travel are the power out screws up being able to check them in and the gateways. Delays, some airlines closed all flights, but KOA had flights in and out. For flights, call the airlines you’re booked on, sounds to me like an evolving condition as situation is still getting accessed. Coming thru Honolulu I’d guess may be worse than usual. Big event this weekend so I’m certain there will be considerable attention to access into KOA, no mention of any runway problems. Ironman says they have no plans of canceling. Call accommodations and check that status. Not so far hearing any hotel problems. Phone may be pretty swamped as things are in times like this, I guess just stick with it and hope you have a redial button. Remember it was a pretty big deal, not as bad as I can remember personally but still a cause of concern re: structure etc. Somebody has to look at things and decide if ok to continue business as usual. Then the call gets made and then the airlines and accommodations have to deal with all the mess of the people left over during the actual problem as well as handle the incoming. I’d say it was a flipping nightmare on Ohau to be out of power. Much better to be flying in direct to KOA.

Certainly some major structure problems on the news but for the most part considered minimal – things a mess from the shaking vs death and destruction.

Was possibly 2 quakes and numerous aftershocks. #1 @ 7:07am magnitude 6.3 approx 10 miles out from Puako. #2 possibly a separate quake was 5.8, further north and further out.

So Wildcard, if the power was out how'd you get online to mention it 9min later?

Back
Top Bottom