Earthquake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS , what is this "we" crap? And anyway depth has very little to do with distance anyway.

I called Catherine early this morning....basically right after it happened. She couldn't reach her children but said that she knew about quakes when she lived in CA

we just got our power back. Waikiki is nuts

<<<RedRover, LioKai and Friscuba>>> glad you guys made it thru ok!

I took a walk through Waikiki tonight around 7:30pm and it was such an eery feeling. Everything was dark and thousands of people walking around. More or less, they were all looking for food, as was I.

There were a few entrapeneurs out tonight with food wagons or bentos for sale. I then took a drive to all the areas around us with lights on looking for a restaurant but no luck. Any restaurant open had a long line.

Power was coming on in sections in the Waikiki area. Our power turned on just about 10pm! You could hear cheering from all over the place.

I hope Hawai'i learns from this. I didn't think it was such a big deal coming from Japan but the organization of the government in this type of situation wasn't very good. I'm not cracking on anyone but maybe the government should research places that have earthquakes more often, say Los Angeles or Japan and see what they do. Just a thought.

Chris

SO a Hulihuli chicken stand is up and running today as usual on a sunday. On the only radio station working, someone says it's still serving. HPDs finest rush in and "order" them to shut down or be aressted. When called to the phone to be on the radio, they leave....There version of traffic control is to sit in there cars becouse it's raining....
All second hand mind you but on the only radio station working on Oahu from POed callers.
Thanks KSSK radio for being there and for the comic relief! The "my kids are price gouging me for there allowance" caller got me!
For a "major disaster" where no one was hurt, all went well. Everything worked like it was supposed to, things moved, people reacted. I feel much better about the response the islands are cappable of. On the other hand, I feel so frikkin vunerable here. In Alaska, I can live forever without outside support. Here, a few days at best......

Wildcard:
Just now, biggest I have felt here! I predict 5.2
I called this from 152 miles away, pretty dead on for here, give or take. Anyone have a distance vs felt quake scale?
Im so happy everyone is safe! Now get ready for the next "BIG ONE"...... Food, Water, shelter, extra women, all the basics........:wink:

got power back about 8pm.. but cable took a while longer =(

when the two quakes happened.. i was just pondering gettin' up.. when the bed started shakin' like i just put a couple quarters in it =)

chepar:
I was sleeping when the earthquake hit - I thought "Oh, it's another earthquake" and went back to sleep.

i almost did that too... but then thought i should get up and get ready for the day, just in case any more hit.

as said.. good to hear folks on the big island are mostly okay.

I hope everyone is doing ok. Sorry I couldn't get on here earlier. I'm suprised this happened, I remember someone posting about hearing an under-water earthquake while diving a few months ago.

Again I wish everyone the best.

I think KSSK was running a comedy hour more than anything else... some of my favorite quotes (to the best of my recollection)...

..."and the emergency management folks are reminding everyone to stay off the phone to keep the lines clear... and now back to our callers..."
...after being on the air for about 20 minutes giving updates... one caller, "I think there was a quake this morning, could you put out some info on it"
..."and the emergency management folks are reminding everyone to stay off the phone to keep the lines clear... and now back to our callers..."
..."someone is selling batteries for $2 each, they are just taking them out of the package then selling them..." don't buy them then, this was at 8am, while it was raining there was plenty of time to look for someone NOT price gouging.
..."and the emergency management folks are reminding everyone to stay off the phone to keep the lines clear... and now back to our callers..." (anyone notice a pattern?)
...after being the only restaurant open in the area for hours "Koa pancake house is closing (around 1pm, after breakfast) even though they have a long line... there's a Korean BBQ next door but I want pancakes, I'm really mad at them..."

While not a quote... I'm waiting for the Katrina affect to step in, where it's the government fault that people were not prepared for something like this.

From what I saw, I think things were pretty well organized and the folks out there were patient....those that complain should do it better "I'm never coming to Hawaii again! This is just terrible"....They don't know what terrible is...

Back
Top Bottom