Earthquake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was about 15 minutes after the quake when I lost power.

Ok, anybody flying in: News just reports from DOT the Airports will be back to normal by the morning. HNL is back with power by the way.

it is almost 8pm and we just got our power back. YEA!!!!!!

LioKai checking in. All is OK here. Shook for about 1 minute on the inital quake. Not much damage, at least nothing I can't fix. The cat freaked out, the dog didn't care. I canceled my dive charter out of concern for more quakes. While the quake was not big enough to cause a tidal wave, the landslides could. I watched a video of the landslide in K-bay (where the Capt Cook Monument is) shot by a friend of mine.... very intense. It was close enough to me that I watched part of the dust cloud.

Funny how things work out, I came back into the house to floss and take my vitamins when the quake hit. I was ready to skip both tasks. If I had I would have been doing about 40mph on the 2-wheels-of-terror.

Last bit of update. Another friend ran a snorkel charter to K-bay and shot some underwater video. He said the bay was fine by lunch time. Jack's Diving Locker ran charters today too. I checked with a few friends there and they said the water and the reefs were all ok. Last I heard the air port was open.

Mahalo to Kelpmermaid for the PM to check up on me. Any news from Catherine's children?
Matthew

fishb0y:
It was about 15 minutes after the quake when I lost power.
Ahh, maybe the chain reaction thing. One plant or portion of the grid kicks off from the jolt and the resulting draw kicks off the rest like dominos so it takes a few minutes.
Mine went off during #1, right about the time I decided I’d better get some clothes on incase the walls and roof followed everything else and came crashing down LOL.

redrover:
...So Wildcard, if the power was out how'd you get online to mention it 9min later?

maybe like me ... Laptop and cellphone :D

Our power went out within 5 minutes of the "big shake"

Kihei's power was out within 5 minutes as well... didn't realize there was a second quake... just felt it as an aftershock.

No substantial damage around here as far as I can tell... unless ClearWire service being knocked out until sometime tomorrow for a part counts. :)

Ahh... thank you Ashley's Cafe for free WiFi in your parking lot!!!

kidspot:
maybe like me ... Laptop and cellphone :D

Our power went out within 5 minutes of the "big shake"
Just now back on!....How? I was posting when the first quake hit and posted pretty much while it was still going. We lost power about 20 minutes later and just now got cable back up.... Called my only SB buddy out of state I could to post for me.Thanks Snowbear!.....Doubts? look at the timeline on the posts.
It was a bad situation for a while here,,,my beer almost got warm!:D
This was yet again so much of a "near miss"..... Many could have died but no one did....India, Indo, africa,... This would have taken many lives....Count your blessings before you go to sleep.

Not only that, but if the epicenter had been not too differently located, we could have had a tsunami hit, too... thankfully it was deep enough to not create that sort of issue.

No, it would have not. Not here anyway.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom